Electron angular momentum in diatomic molecules

In summary: Sorry if I'm wrong.It's been a good while since I studied this but here goes. I thought ##L^2## was not a good quantum number in Hund's case a? I thought it was just the projection ##\Lambda## that was good.
kelly0303
Hello! I just started reading some molecular physics and I am a bit confused about the electron angular momentum in diatomic molecules. Let's say we have just 2 protons and an electron for simplicity and we are in the Born-Oppenheimer approximation, so we assume that the nuclei are fixed in space. Given that we don't have a central potential the angular momentum quantum number is not conserved. However, its projection on the internuclear axis is conserved and this is something that holds for any diatomic molecule (with some subtleties related to Hund cases, but let's assume we are in Hund case a, so this projection is well defined). So the way I visualize this, vectorially, is a vector corresponding to the angular momentum, that rotates at an angle around the internuclear axis (similar to a magnetic moment around a magnetic field). So the magnitude and precession angle seem to be constant (and hence the projection). But this looks to me just like the projection of an electron angular momentum along the z-axis on an atom (the momentum precess around the z-axis, and its projection gives the quantum numbers ##m_l##). So I am not sure what exactly it is not conserved about angular momentum in molecules, as to me it seems like the behavior of the angular momentum vector is the same as in atoms, where we know it is conserved. Can someone help me understand? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with this topic, hope I don't say something illy, but here
kelly0303 said:
So the way I visualize this, vectorially, is a vector corresponding to the angular momentum, that rotates at an angle around the internuclear axis (similar to a magnetic moment around a magnetic field). So the magnitude and precession angle seem to be constant (and hence the projection).
aren't you supposing too much ? You previously said that only the projection on the axis is constant, that's it. Why are you supposing the precession angle to be constant also ?

dRic2 said:
I'm not familiar with this topic, hope I don't say something illy, but here

aren't you supposing too much ? You previously said that only the projection on the axis is constant, that's it. Why are you supposing the precession angle to be constant also ?
Sorry, we also have that the ##L^2## operator commutes with the Hamiltonian, so I assumed that the length of the vector is constant.

##L^2##, or ##J^2## ? If ##L^2## commutes with H, orbital angular momentum should be conserved. Right ? And that's not the case. If ##J^2## commutes with H then total angular momentum (orbital + spin) is conserved and this is always true for an isolated system.

It's been a good while since I studied this but here goes. I thought ##L^2## was not a good quantum number in Hund's case a? I thought it was just the projection ##\Lambda## that was good.

What is electron angular momentum in diatomic molecules?

Electron angular momentum in diatomic molecules refers to the rotational motion of electrons around the bond axis of a diatomic molecule. It is a quantum mechanical property that describes the angular momentum of an electron in a specific energy level.

How is electron angular momentum quantized in diatomic molecules?

Electron angular momentum in diatomic molecules is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the wave-like nature of electrons and the restrictions of the Schrödinger equation. The allowed values of electron angular momentum are given by the quantum number l, where l = 0, 1, 2, ..., n-1, with n being the principal quantum number.

What is the relationship between electron angular momentum and molecular rotation?

The electron angular momentum in a diatomic molecule is directly related to its molecular rotation. As the electron moves around the bond axis, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the rotational motion of the molecule. This interaction results in the quantization of molecular rotation and the selection rules for rotational transitions in diatomic molecules.

How does electron angular momentum affect molecular properties?

Electron angular momentum plays a crucial role in determining the electronic and magnetic properties of diatomic molecules. It affects the energy levels and electronic transitions of the molecule, as well as its magnetic moment. The magnitude and direction of the electron angular momentum also determine the shape and orientation of the molecule in space.

Can electron angular momentum change in diatomic molecules?

Yes, electron angular momentum can change in diatomic molecules through electronic transitions. When an electron absorbs or emits a photon, it can change its energy level and thus its angular momentum. This change in angular momentum can result in changes in molecular properties, such as its magnetic moment or rotational energy levels.