Mysteries of White Dwarf Formation: Massive Diamonds Inside?

In summary, massive diamonds can be found inside some white dwarves, which are formed after repeated fusions in the core. This conversion of carbon under high pressure results in diamonds. The time it takes for a white dwarf to produce these diamonds may vary depending on the mass and surroundings of the star, but for a sun-like star it could take 1.5 to 2 billion years. However, diamonds can also be found under the Earth's mantle or outer core due to the necessary pressure and presence of carbon.
Kitten Kaboodle
I read in the book of world records that there are massive diamonds inside of some white dwarves. If this is compleatly true then how long after it's formation could a white dwarf start producing this massive diamond in it's core?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kitten Kaboodle said:
I read in the book of world records that there are massive diamonds inside of some white dwarves. If this is compleatly true then how long after it's formation could a white dwarf start producing this massive diamond in it's core?

What u have read might be amazing to u but it is absolutely true, core after repeated fusions is converted to carbon and that carbon under such a high pressure can only be in form of diamond.
Time may differ in different stars due to varied mass and surroundings.
But for a sun like star it will take about 1.5 to 2.

way cool, thank you very much!

I don't think you have to go THAT far to find giant diamonds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we could find giant diamonds under our feet... as in the Earth's mantel or outer core. There is enough pressure for diamonds to form there.

:grumpy: But the second thing we need is carbon.

1. What is a white dwarf?

A white dwarf is a type of star that forms when a star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. It is extremely dense, with a mass similar to that of the sun but compressed into a much smaller size, about the size of the Earth.

2. How do white dwarfs form?

White dwarfs form when a star runs out of fuel and can no longer sustain nuclear fusion. The outer layers of the star are blown off in a massive explosion called a supernova, leaving behind a dense core that continues to emit heat and light.

3. What makes white dwarfs unique?

White dwarfs are unique because they are incredibly dense and have a very high surface temperature, making them extremely bright. They also have a very long lifespan compared to other stars, with some white dwarfs estimated to be billions of years old.

4. How are diamonds formed in white dwarfs?

It is believed that the high pressure and temperature inside a white dwarf can cause carbon atoms to crystallize and form diamonds. These diamonds can be as large as Earth-sized and are thought to be remnants of carbon-rich planets that were destroyed during the star's formation.

5. Can we observe white dwarfs with diamonds?

Yes, we can observe white dwarfs with diamonds through spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted by the star to determine its composition. However, it is difficult to directly observe the diamonds themselves due to their small size and the intense light emitted by the star.