What am i doing wrong (water thru a tube question)

• Thread starter mujadeo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the problem involves a tube of radius 6.000 cm connected to a tube of radius 1.000 cm, with water being forced through the tubes at a rate of 20.97 liters/min. The pressure in the 6 cm tube is 1.015×105 Pa and the density of water is 1000 kg/m3. The goal is to find the velocity of the water in the 6 cm radius tube. The equation to use is flow rate = velocity * area. After converting the flow rate to m^3, the calculation yields a velocity of 3.495*10^-4 m/s. However, the answer is incorrect and further help is needed to solve the problem.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

A tube of radius 6.000 cm is connected to tube of radius 1.000 cm as shown above. (see attachment)..

Water is forced through the tube at a rate of 20.97 liters/min. The pressure in the 6 cm tube is 1.015×105 Pa. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3. Assume that the water is nonviscous and incompressible, and keep at least four digits in your computations.

(a) What is the velocity of the water in the 6 cm radius tube?
this is easy but i keep getting wrong answer --dont know why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

heres what i did
Im = v * A (that is, flow rate = velocvity times area)

so after conversions (20.97l/m /60 * 10^-3 = m^3) i have

Im = 3.495*10^-4m/s * .011 (pie*.06^2)
= 3.845*10^-6m/s

this is wrong.
Why?

please help... thanks!

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
well i didnt put brackets in right place.
should be
(20.97l/m /60) * 10^-3 = m^3)

=3.495*10^-4

still doesn't solve prob though.
any other help?? please help!??

flow rate = velocvity times area
Hence velocity = flow rate/area

1. What is the purpose of the water in the tube experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the properties of fluids and how they behave when subjected to different forces, such as gravity and air pressure.

2. Why does the water not flow out of the tube when it is held upside down?

This is due to the force of air pressure pushing against the water. The air pressure inside the tube is greater than the air pressure outside, keeping the water in place.

3. What is the significance of the water level rising when the tube is submerged in water?

This shows the principle of buoyancy, where an object submerged in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. The water level rises because the tube is displacing water when it is submerged.

4. Why does the water only flow out of the tube when the top is released?

When the top of the tube is released, the air pressure inside the tube decreases, causing the air pressure outside the tube to push the water out. This is similar to squeezing a ketchup bottle to get the ketchup to flow out.

5. How does the diameter of the tube affect the flow of water?

The diameter of the tube affects the speed at which the water flows. A wider diameter tube will have a faster flow rate compared to a narrower one, as there is more space for the water to flow through.