Formula or list needed for gas 'critical temperature' calc

In summary, the critical temperature is the temperature at which a gas condenses to a liquid, and it differs for each substance based on intermolecular forces. This change is triggered by a decrease in temperature, which strengthens the attractive forces between molecules and causes them to form a liquid phase. It is recommended to post this question in the theoretical forum.
bitman
Hi

Is there a formula which predicts at which temperature a gas condenses to a liquid ?. I think its called the critical temperature.

I've found out thay C02 is 31C and Nitrogen -178.

If not a formula can someone point me to a list of gases with info. I'd be quite interested to know what causes this change at the molecular level. The pressure increase forces the atoms closer and closer together but what triggers the change to a liquid ?

Should this be posted in the theoretical forum ?

Best regards

Bitman

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, this should be posted in the theoretical forum. The critical temperature is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of a liquid equals the atmospheric pressure. This is the temperature at which the gas and liquid phases of a substance are in equilibrium. Different substances have different critical temperatures, depending on the properties of their molecules. At the molecular level, the change from gas to liquid occurs because of intermolecular forces. When the temperature decreases, the kinetic energy of the molecules decreases and the attractive forces between the molecules become more important. As these forces become stronger, the molecules move closer together, forming a liquid phase.

Hi Bitman,

Yes, there is a formula that can predict the critical temperature of a gas. The formula is known as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and it is given by:

Tc = (a/R)(ln(Pc/P)) + b

Where Tc is the critical temperature, a and b are constants specific to each gas, R is the gas constant, Pc is the critical pressure, and P is the pressure at a given temperature.

The critical temperature is the temperature at which a gas cannot be liquefied by increasing the pressure alone. At this temperature, the gas molecules have enough kinetic energy to overcome the attractive forces between them, preventing them from condensing into a liquid state.

I would suggest looking for a list of gases and their critical temperatures in a physical chemistry textbook or online database. This information is readily available and can provide insight into the molecular properties of different gases and their behavior under varying conditions.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides some further information on the critical temperature of gases. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

1. What is the formula for calculating gas critical temperature?

The formula for calculating gas critical temperature is Tc = 8a/27Rb, where Tc is the critical temperature, a is the Van der Waals constant, R is the gas constant, and b is the molecular volume of the gas.

2. How do I determine the critical temperature of a gas using its Van der Waals constants?

To determine the critical temperature of a gas using its Van der Waals constants, you can use the formula Tc = 8a/27Rb. The Van der Waals constant a can be found by dividing the square of the gas's critical pressure by 27, and the constant b can be found by dividing the gas's critical volume by 3. The gas constant R is a universal constant with a value of 8.314 J/mol·K.

3. Can the critical temperature of a gas be calculated using its ideal gas constant?

No, the critical temperature of a gas cannot be calculated using its ideal gas constant. The ideal gas constant does not take into account the intermolecular forces that affect the behavior of a gas at high pressures and low temperatures, which is necessary for determining the critical temperature.

4. What units should be used for the gas constants in the formula for calculating critical temperature?

The gas constants a and b in the formula for calculating critical temperature should be in units of (L^2·atm/mol^2) and (L/mol), respectively. The gas constant R should be in units of (J/mol·K).

5. Is the critical temperature of a gas a fixed value?

No, the critical temperature of a gas is not a fixed value. It varies depending on the type of gas and its intermolecular forces. It is a characteristic property of each gas and is often used to compare the behavior of different gases at high pressures and low temperatures.