Frustrated with a particular class (this is probably redundant by now)

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: I would advise you to remain optimistic and to not give up on this course. You have done well in the other classes you have taken, so don't let this one get the best of you. If you find that you are struggling, talk to your professor. He or she may be able to help you out.In summary, the junior in physics is having difficulty in a particular course and does not know why. He is doing well in other courses, but struggles with this one. He is unsure if he is just not good at physics or if there is something he is doing wrong. He is considering whether or not he should give up on the course. He is advised to remain optimistic and to talk to his professor if he
Void123
I am a junior in physics. Things have been going pretty good (not flawlessly super) so far, with the exception of one class: upper level mechanics. I just cannot perform at a sufficient level and I don't know why. We just took a midterm a few weeks ago, one which I studied pretty hard for (started four days early and forsook some of my other work for the week); I studied the example problems, end of chapter-problems, and I fully utilized my professor's office hours for questions/help. However, I did horrible on the exam and the assignments are not going well either. I also know a lot of other people are struggling, but still this does not help me out.

Is it possible I'm just no good at physics? I considered this, but then that would not explain how I'm doing fine in my other courses. Perhaps just a lot of mental pressure and over-hyped fear of the class? I really don't know.

I really like physics and would like to pursue grad school. I just don't know how to conquer this class though.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try not to get too discouraged. There could be any number of reasons why you are not doing as well as you hoped in this course. Since you stated that you are doing fine in your other physics courses, you are correct in that it doesn't mean you are bad at physics. Some professors intentionally design courses so that it is nearly impossible to get high grades and then curve the grades at the end of the semester. I don't particularly approve of this teaching method as I think it can be unnecessarily discouraging. If this is the case though, perhaps you are not doing as poorly as you thought.

Also, if you haven't tried doing so already, sit down and look over your assignments and the exam. Try to diagnose what you are doing in the actual problem sets that are causing you to lose points. Are they simply careless mistakes? Are you making the problem sets more difficult than they actually are? If so, then I would guess your difficulty is the result of excessive anxiety about this particular course which is causing you to make the class more difficult for yourself. I had a similar experience in one of my courses last year. I realized that I was trying to make the problems more difficult than they actually were because I lacked confidence in my ability to solve them. I eventually realized I was doing this and I was able to overcome this self-imposed obstacle by approaching the course with more confidence. I then went on to do well in the class. Perhaps you are experiencing something similar.

I guess the best thing you can do is to try to come at this course with more self confidence in your ability to do well in it. Remember, you are not the only one who has encountered difficulties like your own and many people have overcome them. I am sure you will be able to as well. I hope this helps and good luck.

Most people run into at least one class that they just don't "get". Don't worry, it's normal. It will eventually come to you - it just might not be until the class is over.

1. Why am I feeling frustrated with this particular class?

There could be several reasons for feeling frustrated with a particular class. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, difficulty in grasping the concepts, or a mismatch between your learning style and the teaching style of the instructor.

2. How can I manage my frustration in this class?

One way to manage frustration in a particular class is to identify the root cause of your frustration and address it. This could involve seeking help from the instructor or a tutor, studying in a group, or finding alternative resources for learning the material.

3. Is it normal to feel frustrated with a class?

Yes, it is normal to feel frustrated with a particular class. Every student has their own strengths and weaknesses, and some classes may be more challenging than others. It is important to remember that frustration is a natural part of the learning process and can be overcome with persistence and determination.

4. How do I stay motivated in a class that I am frustrated with?

Staying motivated in a class that you are frustrated with can be difficult, but there are a few things you can do. First, try to find the aspects of the class that you enjoy and focus on them. Additionally, set small goals for yourself and celebrate when you achieve them. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of your long-term goals and how this class fits into them.

5. When should I seek help for my frustration in a particular class?

If you feel like your frustration is significantly impacting your performance in the class or your overall well-being, it may be a good idea to seek help. This could involve talking to the instructor, seeking tutoring services, or reaching out to a counselor or academic advisor for support. It is always better to address your frustration early on rather than letting it build up.