How do I use a histogram to find a combined fit for my muon lifetime experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about a muon lifetime determination experiment where the data was presented in the form of two columns: x = time (microseconds) and y = counts/bin. The experiment was supposed to find a "combined fit" for the xy graph using a histogram, but the person does not know how to use a histogram. They discuss how to make a histogram and its purpose in measuring a probability distribution. They also mention using a combined fit, and discuss the best way to solve this problem, which is writing out a cost function and finding the minimum of that function. They also mention using MATLAB instead of Excel for scientific work.
Emc2brain
Need HELP! Muon Lifetime Experiment

I just recently collected data from a muon lifetime determination experiment. The data was presented in the form of two columns: x = time (microseconds) and y = counts/bin. After plotting this xy into a graph I found that my muon lifetime was 2.12 (close enough).

I was supposed to find a "combined fit" for the xy graph to:

N= Noe^(-t/tau) + C

Where tau is the mean lifetime. But! Haha! I simply took it upon myself to use excel trendline to determine the two separate components of fitting it. In the Excel attachment you will see what I mean by fitting the graph (by the two red dashed lines) One red line indicates the exponential component and the other red line indicates the constant (linear) background component.

What is key here is that I'm supposed to use a HISTOGRAM! Well, I am ashamed to say that I don't particularly know how to use a histogram as well as I wish. Besides that, I don't even understand conceptually what a histogram does with my data (which is also provided). How do I use a histogram to fit it to the above?

THANX
Hannah :cry:

Attachments

• EMC234.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emc2brain said:
What is key here is that I'm supposed to use a HISTOGRAM! Well, I am ashamed to say that I don't particularly know how to use a histogram as well as I wish. Besides that, I don't even understand conceptually what a histogram does with my data (which is also provided). How do I use a histogram to fit it to the above?

But you already have a histogram, if I understand your message well.
Let me explain a bit: to make a histogram, you have to repeat the same experiment many times, and the outcome of each experiment must give you a number, say: the lifetime of a muon.
So you have a long list of muon lifetimes: if you measured 5000 muons, you measured 5000 lifetimes. These are the data you start with.
To make a histogram, you choose a real axis which represents the quantity you've been measuring (here the muon lifetime), and you define a number of equal-sized bins on that axis that will be relevant. So you define the bin:
0-0.1 microsecond, the bin 0.1-0.2 microsecond etc... for example.
Next, you process your data: you will count in each bin how many times the measurement result was within the limits of the bin.
These numbers of counts, as a function of the bin center, is what's called a histogram. But that's the data you already have !
The reason for doing this "histogramming" is that it is the experimentalist's way of measuring a probability distribution.

cheers,
Patrick.

Lost! Muon

Okay thanx, that makes a bit of sense because I was able to actually solve for the mean lifetime without using a generated histogram (that which I proceeded to make in excel! which I guess now makes no sense, right? it would be essentially a histogram of a histogram, how peculiar).

Alright, but do you know how I would find a combined fit from this output histogram? Should MATLAB be used here or is excel okay? This combined fit is a mixture of both exponential and linear, so excel's "trendline" isn't really sufficient (which is why I used trendline for the two different portions of my histogram output). If you know anything on this matter.

Hannah :wink:

Attachments

• EMC234.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 196
Emc2brain said:
Alright, but do you know how I would find a combined fit from this output histogram? Should MATLAB be used here or is excel okay?

Excel is for used car salesmen and economists, not for scientific work :yuck:
Probably the best way (also from a pedagogical point of view) to solve the fit problem is to write out the cost function (take least squares):

f(a,b,c) = Sum_i ( m(x_i ; a,b,c) - n(x_i) )^2

In the above, a,b and c are your parameters ( a exp(- b x) + c) or something ;
x_i represents the center values of the bins (the center lifetimes) and n(x_i) represents the number of counts for that bin with center x_i.

m(x_i ; a,b,c) is your model function evaluated at the bin center.

m(x ; a,b,c) = a exp(- b x) + c)

You sum over all the bins you have in your data and that gives you the cost function f(a,b,c) as a function of the values for the parameters.
The best fit is then given by the minimum of that function ; this can be done numerically, by solving:

df/da = 0 ; df/db = 0 ; df/dc = 0

cheers,
patrick.

1. What is a Muon Lifetime Experiment?

A Muon Lifetime Experiment is a scientific experiment that measures the average lifetime of muons, which are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but much heavier. These experiments are important for understanding the fundamental properties of particles and the laws of physics.

2. How is a Muon Lifetime Experiment conducted?

In a Muon Lifetime Experiment, muons are created by high-energy collisions and then directed into a detector. The detector records the number of muons that decay over a certain period of time. This data is used to calculate the average lifetime of muons.

3. Why is the Muon Lifetime Experiment important?

The Muon Lifetime Experiment is important because it provides valuable information about the properties of muons and the fundamental laws of physics. It can also help scientists to better understand the behavior of other subatomic particles.

4. What are the applications of the Muon Lifetime Experiment?

The results of the Muon Lifetime Experiment can be applied to various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. They can also be used to improve our understanding of radiation and its effects on living organisms.

5. How accurate are the results of the Muon Lifetime Experiment?

The accuracy of the results of the Muon Lifetime Experiment depends on the precision of the experimental setup and the data analysis techniques used. However, with modern technology, scientists are able to achieve results with a high degree of accuracy and precision.