Chemistry - Concentration of Ions

In summary: This means that for a 1 mol dm-3 solution, there is 1 mole of the solute present in every liter of solution. In the case of KI, it dissociates into K+ and I- ions, so the concentration of each ion is also 1 mol dm-3. Similarly, for Ba(OH)2, it dissociates into Ba2+ and 2 OH- ions. Since the molarity of the solution is 0.01 mol dm-3, the concentration of Ba2+ is also 0.01 mol dm-3, while the concentration of OH- is 2 times that, or 0.02 mol dm-3. Therefore, the concentration of hydroxide ions
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What is the concentration of ____ ions in a ___ mol dm-3 solution of ___?

Homework Equations

mass/molar mass = number of moles

volume/molar volume = number of moles

Not sure what other equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not understanding how this works. I have looked at the answers and I'm not really understanding it...

For example, the first question says:

"What is the concentration of iodide ions in a 1 mol dm-3 solution of KI?"

I really didn't know where to start, so I found that 1 mol dm-3 KI is the same as 166g dm-3 and didn't really know where to go from there. The answer sheet says the answer is 1. The next question asks the same thing, except for hydroxide ions in 0.01 mol dm-3 of Ba(OH)2, and the answer given is 0.02. It looks like they are multiplying the concentration by the number of ions. I'm not sure I understand why (I kind of keep getting glimpses of understanding which quickly fades).

Some help understanding why the answer is 1 would be appreciated (and why the answer for the second one is 0.02).

I know that KI dissociates into K+ and I-.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I understand now, I think it's because I was typing it I figured it out. Is it because;

KI -> K+ + I-

So concentration of K+ is 1M and I- is 1M.

And for the second, Ba(OH)2 -> Ba2+ + 2(OH)-

Since this is for 1M we have to divide all by 100, so ratio is 0.01:0.02 so 0.02 is the answer.

I think I understand now, correct me if wrong, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. The molarity of a solute is defined as its concentration in mol dm-3.

What is concentration of ions in chemistry?

Concentration of ions in chemistry refers to the amount of ions present in a solution. It is a measure of the number of ions in a specific volume of solution and is typically expressed in moles per liter (M) or parts per million (ppm).

How is concentration of ions calculated?

Concentration of ions can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of the ion by the total volume of the solution. This is known as molarity (M) and is expressed as moles per liter (mol/L).

What is the relationship between concentration and molarity?

Concentration and molarity are closely related, as molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution. Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the total volume of the solution, while concentration is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the total volume of the solution.

What factors can affect the concentration of ions in a solution?

The concentration of ions in a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. Changes in these factors can alter the solubility of ions and therefore affect their concentration in the solution.

How is concentration of ions important in chemical reactions?

The concentration of ions is important in chemical reactions as it determines the rate at which the reaction occurs. Higher concentrations of ions can increase the likelihood of collisions between reactant particles, leading to a faster reaction rate. Additionally, the concentration of ions can also affect the equilibrium of a reaction, influencing the direction in which it proceeds.