Finding rate constant from pressure change in an experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses finding concentrations and the rate constant for a reaction, using them to create an Arrhenius graph and finding the activation energy, and the use of a Vernier Gas Pressure Sensor to measure change in pressure. The calculation process for finding the rate constant is also mentioned.
HoneyBee
Homework Statement
I measured the change in pressure for the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide in the presence of a manganese(IV) oxide catalyst at 5 different temperatures
Relevant Equations
MnO2(s)
2H2O2(l) --> O2(g)+2H2O(l)
Is there any way that I can find concentrations and then find the rate constant, k? And, using them, make an Arrhenius graph to find activation energy (including the catalyst)? Any help would be much appreciated.

Change in pressure was found using a Vernier Gas Pressure Sensor. The starting concentration of hydrogen peroxide was 3% or 0.88mol. The starting pressure was always around 98kPa. The catalyst and hydrogen peroxide were mixed together after the stopper was put on the flask. The increasing pressure was measured and the highest it went to (at 70C) was around 145kPa.
Here is an example of what I have done so far to try and find the rate constant to plot on an Arrhenius graph:

At 303.15K
PV=nRT
P/(RT)=n/v, which is the same as concentration.
120.3/(8.314*303.15) = 0.477 mol/dm^3
0.477mol/dm^3 is the final concentration of oxygen created after 180s had elapsed.
0.477mol/dm^3/180s = 0.00265 mol/dm^3/s
The ratio between oxygen and hydrogen peroxide is 1:2, therefore the rate at which hydrogen peroxide was depleted at is 0.0053 mol/dm^3/s
The ending concentration must be 0.88M - (0.0053mol/dm^3/s x 180s) = -0.074 mol/dm^3
And this is where I think something has gone wrong... The pressure continued to increase even after this 180s so I do not think the reaction went to completion.

I would then use the equation k = rate / [final concentration hydrogen peroxide] to find k.

Physics news on Phys.org
See my answer on chemical forums.

mjc123 said:
See my answer on chemical forums.
Haha I guess you can tell I really wanted some help. Anyways thank you again!

1. What is the purpose of finding the rate constant in an experiment?

The rate constant is a measure of how fast a reaction occurs. It is important to know the rate constant in order to understand the kinetics of a reaction and to be able to predict the rate of the reaction under different conditions.

2. How is the rate constant calculated from pressure change?

The rate constant can be calculated using the following equation: k = (ΔP/Δt) / (n/V), where ΔP is the change in pressure, Δt is the change in time, n is the number of moles of gas involved in the reaction, and V is the volume of the reaction vessel.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the rate constant calculated from pressure change?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the rate constant calculated from pressure change include experimental errors, variations in temperature and pressure, and the presence of impurities or catalysts in the reaction mixture.

4. How can the rate constant be used to determine the order of a reaction?

The rate constant can be used to determine the order of a reaction by analyzing the relationship between the rate constant and the concentration of reactants. For example, if the rate constant is independent of reactant concentration, the reaction is zero-order; if the rate constant is directly proportional to the concentration of one reactant, the reaction is first-order; and if the rate constant is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of one reactant, the reaction is second-order.

5. Can the rate constant change over time?

Yes, the rate constant can change over time. This can happen due to changes in temperature, pressure, or the presence of catalysts. It is important to monitor the rate constant throughout the course of the reaction to ensure accurate results.