Falling superconductor in a magnetic field

In summary: This summary is about the following conversation:Recently, a person was inspired by a classic demonstration of dropping a magnet down a copper tube to study the effect of superconductivity. They want to know if there is a terminal velocity for a superconductor falling in an ambient magnetic field, and then they found a paper that discussed the effect of a magnet falling through a superconductor in a vacuum. If the magnet falls in free-fall, there would be no drag force from the ambient magnetic field.
krysith
Hello.

Recently I have been inspired by the classic "drop a NdFeB magnet down a copper tube" demonstration, and I have been thinking about a superconductor falling in an ambient magnetic field. I want to determine the terminal velocity, if one exists.

Now, I'm interested only in the effect of the superconductivity. I realize that if I perform this experiment, that air drag and evaporation of refrigerant would have an effect, but pretend that the superconductor is insulated quite well and falling in a vacuum. It becomes clear quite quickly that using an "ideal" superconductor is not appropriate for modeling this, simply because a perfect superconductor (one without a critical current density) would always have a terminal velocity of zero. Since we don't observe superconductors floating around on the Earth's weak magnetic field, this is a non-physical solution.

If I were to use, say, a superconductor of mass M with a critical magnetic field of Hc, in a weak magnetic field of strength B orthogonal to the direction of the fall, then when the superconducting sample begins to fall (Vo=0), then the only screening currents will be those required to exclude the B-field from the sample. As the velocity increases, the B-field will induce a current in the superconductor. In a perfect superconductor, even a small velocity and weak field would cause a large current which moves any energy associated with the velocity quickly into the magnetic field associated with the screening current. However, for a real-world type I or II superconductor, what happens? If the Hc is large enough relative to B and M is there a terminal velocity? If not, what happens?

I have tried searching for an answer to this, and I found this interesting paper: arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0609141. I'm uncertain if this paper is implying that once the screening currents associated with moment through a particular field are established that no more energy can then be absorbed by the field (and thus there is no terminal velocity) or if that implication is just associated with the particular geometry (a superconducting tube around a magnet) that they are using.

Any help, thoughts, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm. The paper was about a magnet falling through a superconducting pipe. If we imagine that we move along with the magnet, it would look like the superconducting pipe was falling upwards through an ambient magnetic field. This is now equivalent to the question you were asking about a superconductor falling through an ambient magnetic field, right? And in the paper, it found that the magnet simply fell in free-fall, accelerating at g. So from the the magnet's point of view, the superconductor would be falling at g.

So the answer is that the superconductor would not be affected at all by the ambient magnetic field. Does this look right? I don't know for certain if it is ok to view the situation from another reference frame that is non-inertial with respect to the first one...

I think that it is okay to switch the frames of reference so that the superconductor is moving and the magnet is not. Since we are simply considering forces it doesn't really matter which of the objects is accelerated. However, there is one other big difference between the a sample of superconductor falling in a magnetic field and a magnet falling into a superconducting tube, and that is the tube geometry. I'm not so sure that it is correct to consider the inside of the tube (away from the ends) as equivalent to an open uniform magnetic field. The magnetic field lines in each case look nothing alike.

Thinking more about it, I have noticed that the arxiv paper purposely excludes any magnetodynamic effects (in other words, the magnet's velocity is not a factor in their calculations). Their justification for this is that they are calculating for an ideal superconductor, where the screening currents will always exists at any moment in time the same as if the magnet was not moving at all. Of course, this will result in no drag force, since by definition drag forces are in some way proportional to the velocity.

Any magnetostatic calculation of a falling magnet will result in no drag force, since it is only magnetodynamic effects that cause the drag in the first place. I'm afraid that I don't know much about superconductor magnetodynamics, but I do know that using a magnetostatic approximation for a problem dependent on magnetostatic effects is likely to give the wrong answer!

Yeah, the geometry of the superconductor might be important. I am not very knowledgeable about superconductor physics. I should know how to calculate it for a perfect superconductor (if I find my lecture notes somewhere). But you're interested in a not-perfect superconductor, right? So I don't think I'd be much help apart from making a speculative guess.

Its an interesting question, I hope someone replies who has worked it out before.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas on the falling superconductor in a magnetic field. It is an interesting concept to explore and your question about the terminal velocity is certainly valid.

To start, it is important to understand the basic principles of superconductivity and its interaction with magnetic fields. As you mentioned, a perfect superconductor would have a critical current density of zero and hence no terminal velocity. However, in reality, all superconductors have some imperfections and are not perfect conductors. This means that they can still experience some resistance and hence have a critical current density.

In the scenario you described, where a superconductor is falling in a vacuum with a weak magnetic field, the superconductor would experience a Lorentz force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the induced currents in the superconductor. This would result in a deceleration of the superconductor until it reaches a terminal velocity.

The terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation F = ma = mg - Fm, where Fm is the Lorentz force and mg is the force of gravity. The Lorentz force can be calculated using the equation Fm = ILB, where I is the induced current, L is the length of the superconductor, and B is the magnetic field strength.

As for the paper you mentioned, it discusses the phenomenon of magnetic flux trapping in superconductors, where the superconductor can trap magnetic flux and hence resist changes in external magnetic fields. This is not directly related to the terminal velocity of a falling superconductor, but it is a relevant concept to consider when studying the interaction between superconductors and magnetic fields.

In conclusion, a falling superconductor in a magnetic field would experience a deceleration due to the Lorentz force until it reaches a terminal velocity. The exact value of this velocity would depend on the specific properties of the superconductor and the magnetic field. I hope this helps to answer your question and I wish you all the best in your research.

What is a falling superconductor in a magnetic field?

A falling superconductor in a magnetic field refers to the phenomenon where a superconducting material experiences a downward force when placed in a magnetic field and allowed to fall. This is due to the Meissner effect, where the superconductor expels the magnetic field lines to maintain its superconducting state.

How does a falling superconductor behave in a magnetic field?

As the superconductor falls, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces an upward electric current in the material. This current creates a magnetic field that opposes the external field, resulting in a repulsive force that slows down the fall of the superconductor. This is known as magnetic levitation or the "quantum locking" effect.

What are the applications of a falling superconductor in a magnetic field?

The phenomenon of a falling superconductor in a magnetic field has potential applications in magnetic levitation trains, where the train is suspended above the tracks using superconducting materials. It can also be used in flywheels, which store energy by rotating superconducting discs in a magnetic field.

What factors affect the behavior of a falling superconductor in a magnetic field?

The behavior of a falling superconductor in a magnetic field is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the external magnetic field, the type and temperature of the superconducting material, and the shape and size of the superconductor. The orientation of the magnetic field and the presence of any imperfections in the superconductor can also affect its behavior.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using a falling superconductor in a magnetic field?

One potential drawback of using a falling superconductor in a magnetic field is the need for extremely low temperatures to maintain the superconducting state. This can be costly and may limit the practical applications of this phenomenon. Additionally, the levitation may not be stable if the external magnetic field or the superconducting material is not uniform, leading to a bumpy ride for magnetic levitation trains.