Total nuclear spin of deuteron

In summary, the total angular momentum I of the deuteron can be denoted by the sum of the individual spins of the neutron and proton (s_n + s_p) and the orbital angular momentum (l) of the nucleons as they move about their common center of mass. There are four possibilities for the coupling of these contributions, with cases (1) and (2) corresponding to total angular momentum I = 1, while cases (3) and (4) involve further coupling of the spins and orbital angular momentum. This results in a range of possible values for I, with I = 1 being one of the possibilities in all three cases.
Demon117
Hello all, I am having trouble understanding how this works. In Krane there arises a discussion on total angular momentum I of the deuteron. While it is true it has three components, namely the individual spins of the neutron and proton, but also the orbital angular momentum l of the nucleons as they move about their common center of mass. This total angular momentum can be denoted by

[itex]I=s_{p} + s_{n} + l[/itex]

He continues on to talk about the different ways to couple these contributions and states there are only four possibilities. I can see the first two possibilities for total angular momentum I=1, but the other two make no sense. These are the possibilities:

(1) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are parallel with [itex]l=0[/itex]
(2) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are antiparallel with [itex]l=1[/itex]
(3) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are parallel with [itex]l=1[/itex]
(4) [itex]s_{n}[/itex] and [itex]s_{p}[/itex] are parallel with [itex]l=2[/itex]

One can see why (1) and (2) hold by inspection but (3) and (4) make my brain hurt. Perhaps I am just not seeing the correct orientation. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
matumich26, Do you know how to couple two angular momenta? You don't just add them. When you couple J1 to J2 the combined system can have any value of J in the range from their sum J1 + J2 to their difference |J1 - J2|. You must include all of these possibilities. For example when you coupled the two spins together, 1/2 ⊗ 1/2 = 1 ⊕ 0. That's the way we write it, and it means the coupled system can have either S = 1 (parallel) or S = 0 (antiparallel).

Ok, you wanted to look at the cases with S = 1. When you further couple S with L,

1 ⊗ 0 = 1
1 ⊗ 1 = 2 ⊕ 1 ⊕ 0
1 ⊗ 2 = 3 ⊕ 2 ⊕ 1

You can see in all three of these cases, I = 1 is one of the possibilities.

1. What is the total nuclear spin of a deuteron?

The total nuclear spin of a deuteron is 1.

2. How is the total nuclear spin of a deuteron calculated?

The total nuclear spin of a deuteron is calculated by adding the individual spins of its two constituent particles, a proton with a spin of 1/2 and a neutron with a spin of 1/2.

3. Why is the total nuclear spin of a deuteron important?

The total nuclear spin of a deuteron is important because it affects the magnetic properties of the deuteron and is a key factor in determining its behavior in nuclear reactions.

4. How does the total nuclear spin of a deuteron differ from other nuclei?

The total nuclear spin of a deuteron is unique because it is the only stable nucleus with a total spin of 1. Most other stable nuclei have a total spin of 0 or an integer value.

5. Can the total nuclear spin of a deuteron change?

No, the total nuclear spin of a deuteron is a fundamental property that does not change. However, the orientation of the spin with respect to an external magnetic field can be manipulated.