How can you maintain interest in math?

• Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary, Daniel has come to doubt the existence of a perfect foundation for reality, and feels as if he has lost faith in mathematics. He feels as if this decision has come at a bad time, as he has recently discovered that he is terminally ill.
Atomos
Up until yesterday, I had thought mathematics was the foundation of an objective reality that exists outside our mind. I saw mathematics as embodying perfection. But, yesterday I came upon Goedel's incompleteness theorem, and the conclusions that can be derived from it. I feel as if I have lost faith in a god; I am sure my belief in mathematics was psychologically related to a belief in a god. How can you mathematicians and physicists, maintain interest in mathematics with the advent of things such as the Copenhagen interpretation and Goedel's incompleteness theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drugs. Hard drugs.

so my life is over already? At the age of 16? There are only drugs to cure my woes?

Look at this way:if suddenly people would lose interest in mathematics,many of them would lose their jobs,go broke & die hungry...:wink: :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Message:Phuck Gödel & his theorem!:mad:

There are people who are actually interested in maths? No way!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Maths is a tool, that's all. Learn how to use it, then go and find a proper interest!

(Hmm, having said that, I do know some spanner enthusiasts.)

Hey, there may be Gödel's theorem, but as long maths can be applied by engineers who build airplanes etc. and it works, then everything's fine.

brewnog said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Maths is a tool, that's all. Learn how to use it, then go and find a proper interest!
Thankfully there are lots of people who disagree with that.

devious_ said:
Thankfully there are lots of people who disagree with that.

Yep, math is a form of art.

Atomos said:
so my life is over already? At the age of 16? There are only drugs to cure my woes?

Yes. Ssh don't tell anyone - the government drugs our water in order to give us the will to live, in spite of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem. You must have stopped drinking water in the last couple days. Dehydrated?

the government drugs our water in order to give us the will to live, in spite of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem.
Ahahaha :rofl:

PerennialII said:
Yep, math is a form of art.
It can't be both? (a tool and art)

A good slide rule is a lot more than just a handy tool for solving quadratic equations and vector problems. It provides an aesthetic pleasure far beyond just getting the right answer.

A good car is a lot more than just a handy way to get from home to work. Some people see them as works of art, even going to the point of building models of them. On the other hand, some people are just scary - model car Click "Next Photo" for close up of front end. In fact click Previous or Next to see entire collection of model cars (Previous is best - such violence! The airbag was a nice touch, but were the blood stains necessary? And as to the guy who built an entire junk yard of wrecked model cars!??).

Err, uh :uhh: I mean brewnog's right. Quite obsessing over it and look out your window once in a while (real life's much better - btw, do BMW's inspire violence in anyone else, or is it just me? BMW

BobG said:
It can't be both? (a tool and art)

When I was in grad school at U. Wisconsin in the early 60's, you could take your Ph.D. in either the faculty of sciences or the faculty of arts. The difference was in the color of your hood. I "solved" the problem by not getting a Ph.D :yuck: .

selfAdjoint said:
When I was in grad school at U. Wisconsin in the early 60's, you could take your Ph.D. in either the faculty of sciences or the faculty of arts. The difference was in the color of your hood. I "solved" the problem by not getting a Ph.D :yuck: .

Heh, here you can choose to graduate with a BA or a BSc in psychology. The course contents are identical!

IMO Godel refutes his own theorem. But I have only briefly looked at it, so I may be wrong.

Math is the bridge between art and science. That's GRANDEUR for you.

I'm interested in math. Of course I have a lot of lay-around time: easy livin' where you been so long :rofl:

I am still only a relative beginner in math but it is a discipline whereby the human ability to think can be truly extended. To me, that makes it very interesting.

1. How can I make math more interesting?

There are several ways to maintain interest in math. One way is to apply math to real-world problems and scenarios. This can help you see the practical applications of math and make it more relevant and interesting. Another way is to incorporate hands-on activities and games into your learning, as these can make math more engaging and fun. Additionally, setting goals and challenges for yourself can also help you stay motivated and interested in math.

2. What are some tips for staying engaged in math?

Some tips for maintaining interest in math include finding a study partner or joining a study group, as discussing math problems and concepts with others can help keep you engaged. Also, try to connect math concepts to things you are passionate about, such as music or sports. Additionally, taking short breaks and changing up your study routine can help prevent burnout and keep you engaged in math.

3. How can I overcome boredom while studying math?

If you find yourself getting bored while studying math, try to mix up your study materials and methods. This could mean using different textbooks or online resources, or incorporating videos and interactive activities into your learning. You can also try setting smaller, more achievable goals and rewarding yourself for reaching them. Additionally, taking breaks and getting some physical activity can help refresh your mind and make studying math more enjoyable.

4. What can I do if I'm struggling to stay interested in math?

If you are struggling to maintain interest in math, it may be helpful to talk to your teacher or a tutor for additional support and guidance. They may be able to provide you with different resources or approaches to help make math more interesting for you. Additionally, try to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses in math and set realistic goals for improvement. Celebrating your successes, no matter how small, can also help boost your motivation and interest in math.

5. How can I make math a more enjoyable subject for myself?

To make math more enjoyable, try to find ways to make it relevant and relatable to your life. This could mean using real-life examples and scenarios to solve math problems, or finding connections between math and your interests. It can also be helpful to set aside dedicated time for math and create a comfortable and organized study space. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and celebrate your progress and achievements in math.