Finding the pH of NaCN Need K Value

• Thread starter Chromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Value
In summary, Borek figured out the equilibrium expression for a 0.050 M solution of NaCN. He needs to find the equilibrium constant, x, and the pH of the solution if it is at equilibrium. If he can find x and the pH, he can then use the Kb constant to find the Ka constant. Finally, he can use Ka to find the pH of the solution.
Chromium
I'm being asked to find the pH of a 0.050 M solution of NaCN.
I figured out the expression to be x^2/ 0.050 -x, now all i need is a value for k, however I'm not given that value. I know the pH depends on the molarity of the hydrogen ion at equilibrium, however to find that I need to find x, and in order to find x I need a value for k. I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chromium said:
I figured out the expression to be
The expression for what ?
x^2/ 0.050 -x,
where 'x' is ...?

He is talking about the equilibrium constant equation.
Btw, i just finished coding a little simple program on finding the equilibrium constant.
Just saves a few keystroked on the annoying calculator :) .

water dissociation const.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_constant

Last edited:
pKa for HCN is 9.31.Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm being asked to find the pH of a 0.050 M solution of NaCN.
I figured out the expression to be x^2/ 0.050 -x, now all i need is a value for k, however I'm not given that value. I know the pH depends on the molarity of the hydrogen ion at equilibrium, however to find that I need to find x, and in order to find x I need a value for k. I would appreciate any help, thanks.
yeah, you should have been given the K value

I didn't check my book very well, and so later I found a chart that had the Kb value, so I could just used that to divide 10^-14 to find Ka, since Kb x Ka = Kw (10^-14). Once that's done I could have just used that value, plug it into the equation, solve for x, if it passes the 5% test then take the -log of x and had the pH.

pKa for HCN is 9.31.

I have no idea what pKa is... something with pressure? Thanks anyway though Borek. I got some help earlier, and was given the Ka constant, which was 6.2 x 10^-10.

There is a very good chance that all of this is wrong. I am basically just trying this problem out for myself as a challenge, for I don't know what pKa is either. I'm guessing...

[tex]pKa = - log Ka[/tex]

[tex]9.31 = - log Ka[/tex]

[tex]10^{-9.31} = Ka[/tex]

[tex]Ka = 4.9*10^{-10}[/tex]

[tex]4.9*10^{-10} = \frac{x^{2}}{.050 - x}[/tex]

[tex]x^{2} + 4.9*10^{-10}x - 2.5*10^{-11}[/tex]

[tex]x = 5.0*10^{-6}[/tex]

[tex]5.0*10^{-6} = [HCN] = [H^{+}][/tex]

[tex]pH = - log (5.0*10^{-6})[/tex]

[tex]pH = 5.30[/tex]

Once again, I know that I am most likely wrong. I assumed that pKa = - log Ka. I also assumed that [HCN] = [H+]. I haven't learned about that yet; we just started acids and bases earlier this week in my class.

I'm interested to see how this problem is really meant to be worked out :wink:.

Last edited:
the Ka constant, which was 6.2 x 10^-10

Sorry, that was actually the Kb constant...so when you divide it out you get 1.6 x 10^-5 as Ka.

pKa = -log(Ka)

So my assumption was correct :cool:. So did I do the problem correctly after all?

ksinclair13 said:
There is a very good chance that all of this is wrong. I am basically just trying this problem out for myself as a challenge, for I don't know what pKa is either. I'm guessing...

[tex]pKa = - log Ka[/tex]

You guessed OK :)

I also assumed that [HCN] = [H+].

Write the reaction equation - you don't start from HCN, you start with CN- - CN- will react with water to produce OH-. You are close, but you missed ;)Borek

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the pH of NaCN?

The pH of NaCN, or sodium cyanide, depends on its concentration. At a concentration of 1 M, the pH of NaCN is 11. At lower concentrations, the pH will be higher, and at higher concentrations, the pH will be lower.

2. How do you find the pH of NaCN?

To find the pH of NaCN, you can use the following equation: pH = -log([H+]), where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. You will also need to know the dissociation constant, or K value, of NaCN.

3. What is the dissociation constant (K value) of NaCN?

The dissociation constant, or K value, of NaCN is 4.9 x 10^-9 at 25°C. This value represents the equilibrium constant for the dissociation reaction of NaCN in water.

4. How do you determine the K value of NaCN?

The K value of NaCN can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentrations of Na+ and CN- ions in a solution of known concentration. From these values, the K value can be calculated using the equilibrium expression: K = [Na+][CN-]/[NaCN].

5. Can the pH of NaCN change?

Yes, the pH of NaCN can change depending on the concentration of the solution and the presence of other substances that can affect the equilibrium. For example, adding an acid or base to the solution can change the pH by shifting the equilibrium of the dissociation reaction.