Making a pressure vessel out of an oil barrel

In summary: You should also be aware that polyurethane is a very brittle material and will easily shatter if subjected to even low levels of pressure. In summary, using an oil barrel to create a pressure vessel for casting Polyurethane under pressure is not a safe idea.
lemming73
Hi,
I want to build a pressure vessel for casting Polyurethane under pressure.

Does anyone know if it is safe to put an oil barrel under a pressure of 60 PSI ?

(It has to be a barrel that can be opened and closed with a lid, other wise I can't put the mold in. :smile: )

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please do not even consider this approach. These barrels are not designed for any significant internal pressure, and could easily rupture, possibly killing anyone nearby. 60psi does not seem like a very high pressure, but this amount of compressed air, in a large volume, carries a significant amount of stored energy. You basically need some sort of autoclave vessel that is rated for the required pressures.

RocketSci5KN said:
Please do not even consider this approach. These barrels are not designed for any significant internal pressure, , possibly killing anyone nearby. 60psi does not seem like a very high pressure, in a large volume, carries a significant amount of stored energy. =required pressures.
I just registered on this site because I must warn you that tin oil barrel may Kill you . My racing buddy Rick Alexander is dead because the head of an oil drum struck his chest and face. They are just crimped on. Do not apply pressure to them.!

Thanks for the advice, ofcourse I would rather have heard the opposite, but
I am not goiing to try this.

lemming73 said:

Good choice. And, Flathead, my condolences on the loss of your friend.

lemming73 said:
Thank you for heeding the advice you got here. Many, many people have been killed by truck tires on segmented wheels that failed, and they are designed for the pressure they operate at. Oil drums are certainly not. I have seen oil drums with badly bulging heads because they were left "empty" out in the sun with the bung stoppers threaded too tightly to allow the volatile contents to vent.

1. Can an oil barrel be used to make a pressure vessel?

Yes, an oil barrel can be used to make a pressure vessel if it is properly modified and reinforced to withstand the necessary pressure.

2. What modifications are needed to turn an oil barrel into a pressure vessel?

The oil barrel will need to be cut open to remove the top and bottom, and then the sides will need to be flattened. Reinforcing ribs or rings will also need to be added to strengthen the barrel and prevent it from deforming under pressure.

3. What materials are needed for reinforcing an oil barrel pressure vessel?

The most common materials used for reinforcing an oil barrel pressure vessel are steel plates, pipes, and welding rods. These materials are strong enough to withstand the pressure and can be easily welded onto the barrel.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when making a pressure vessel out of an oil barrel?

It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and a face shield, when cutting and welding the barrel. The welding area should also be well-ventilated to prevent any potential fumes from being inhaled. It is also recommended to have the pressure vessel inspected by a professional before use.

5. What is the maximum pressure that an oil barrel pressure vessel can withstand?

The maximum pressure that an oil barrel pressure vessel can withstand depends on the strength and thickness of the reinforcing materials used. It is important to consult with a professional engineer to determine the safe operating pressure for your specific pressure vessel.