How to Compile Fortran Code on Mac and Unix Systems?

In summary, the best way to install a Fortran compiler on a Mac is to use the Homebrew package manager, which ensures proper installation and meets all necessary dependencies. While Macs do have a built-in Fortran compiler, it is recommended to use a more up-to-date one for better performance and compatibility. To check the version of the compiler, use the command "gfortran --version" in the terminal. There are also various GUI options available for the Fortran compiler on Mac, such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse, and Xcode. Alternatives to using a native Fortran compiler on a Mac include using a virtual machine or an online compiler, but these may not be as efficient or reliable.
qinjie1629
I have several fortran code files which can be correctly compiled and run in Windows XP using gfortran. But, when I use the gfortran 4.2.1 compile these files on Mac(10.6), the code files can be compiled, but, it reports errors when I run the compiled file.

the error is related to the pointer of a structure type of data.

Can you gus compile these files for me under Unix or Mac.

Technology news on Phys.org
here is the source code files (4 files). anyboby help?

Attachments

• snesim_src.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 199

1. What is the best way to install a Fortran compiler on a Mac?

The best way to install a Fortran compiler on a Mac is to use the Homebrew package manager. This will ensure that the compiler is properly installed and all necessary dependencies are met.

2. Can I use the built-in Fortran compiler on a Mac?

Yes, Macs come with a built-in Fortran compiler called gfortran. However, it is recommended to use a more up-to-date compiler, such as the one installed through Homebrew, for better performance and compatibility with newer Fortran code.

3. How do I check which version of the Fortran compiler is installed on my Mac?

To check the version of the Fortran compiler installed on your Mac, open the terminal and type gfortran --version. This will display the version number and any additional information about the compiler.

4. Can I use a graphical user interface (GUI) for the Fortran compiler on Mac?

Yes, there are several GUI options available for the Fortran compiler on Mac, such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse, and Xcode. These can be downloaded and installed separately from the compiler itself.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a Fortran compiler on a Mac?

Yes, there are several alternative options for using Fortran on a Mac, such as using a virtual machine to run a Windows-based Fortran compiler, or using an online compiler. However, using a native Fortran compiler on a Mac is generally the most efficient and reliable option.