String Theory and Higgs boson

In summary, supersymmetry is necessary for string theory, but the theory is not vulnerable to Higgs exclusions.
kadiliissaar
I read an interesting article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-does-the-higgs-boson
which says that string theory seems to require our world to have a property called supersymmetry and also, I have heard that the supersymmetry requires the eexistence of at least 5 Higgs bosons from which I would (maybe I over-simplify things!?) that string theory would require the existence of Higgs boson.

But at the same time, hasn't the proposer of string theory Stephen Hawking always been the one not believing in the Higgs!?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
kadiliissaar said:
I read an interesting article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-does-the-higgs-boson
which says that string theory seems to require our world to have a property called supersymmetry and also, I have heard that the supersymmetry requires the eexistence of at least 5 Higgs bosons from which I would (maybe I over-simplify things!?) that string theory would require the existence of Higgs boson.

But at the same time, hasn't the proposer of string theory Stephen Hawking always been the one not believing in the Higgs!?

Thanks,

Supersymmetry is a sneaky thing. You can have it without having string theory. The simplest supersymmetry model (the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model, or MSSM) predicts 5 higgs bosons, sure, but that is just the simplest model. And they are not exactly the same as Standard Model higgs bosons, so if we don't find a Standard Model higgs at the LHC that doesn't mean that an MSSM higgs is also ruled out, because the parameters can be such so that the higgs interacts very weakly so we wouldn't see it. Then you can change things up and go to the next-to-minimal model (nMSSM) in which you can make the higgs interact even more weakly if so desired.

THEN you get to string theory. String theory needs supersymmetry, I believe (I am no expert), however it does not need the MSSM, although proof of the MSSM would make string theorists happy. No, string theory is sneakier still, and it is ok if supersymmetry exists at some energy scale way above anything we can ever measure.

So, combining these, I am sorry to inform you that string theory is not vulnerable to Higgs exclusions.

What is String Theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of matter and energy by describing them as tiny vibrating strings.

What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give mass to other particles in the universe. It was theorized as a part of the Standard Model of particle physics and was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider.

What is the significance of the discovery of the Higgs boson?

The discovery of the Higgs boson confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving mass to particles. This discovery completed the Standard Model of particle physics and helped to further our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

How does String Theory relate to the Higgs boson?

String theory predicts the existence of the Higgs boson, as well as other particles that have been observed in experiments. It also provides a framework for understanding the Higgs boson's role in giving mass to particles.

What are the potential implications of String Theory and the Higgs boson?

If String Theory is proven to be true, it could potentially unify the four fundamental forces of nature and provide a deeper understanding of the universe at a microscopic level. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and energy production.