WE WON PF has been nominated for physics.org award

• Praise
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF has been nominated for the physics.org award in both the "Best revision site" and "Best Q&A site" categories. Nominations are currently open until October 10th, and the winners will be announced at the end of October. Physics.org is a website run by the outreach team at the Institute of Physics, with the aim to inspire people of all ages about physics and guide them to the best physics resources on the web. Despite not having the same level of traffic as PF, physics.org has connections in the physics community and recognition from them would be beneficial. PF members have put in nominations and are hopeful for a win.

Gokul43201 said:
The two results were due to a redundancy in PHYSICS.ORG's own 'links database'. Their database contains two links to PF, one titled 'Physics Forums' and the second titled 'Physics Forum'. Presumably different people independently submitted links to PF with different descriptions and slightly different titles. This is unrelated to the present competition.

I forgot to respond to this comment when I really, really meant to.

Thank you, Gokul!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey, cool. Physics Van is on there too. I was with them for a year or two back at UIUC.

If PF doesn't win, I will be very disappointed.

Char. Limit said:
If PF doesn't win, I will be very disappointed.

Same here. PF is best among all of the 5 shortlisted.

So far others don't stand a chance.

Borek said:
So far others don't stand a chance.
That's only in the popular choice award. We don't know how PF will fare with the judges.

I'd say... excellently.

Everyone be at top form!

Gokul43201 said:
That's only in the popular choice award. We don't know how PF will fare with the judges.

Send in the Sisterhood!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Send in the Sisterhood!

We can be very ...

persuasive. :devil:

Math Is Hard said:
We can be very ...

persuasive. :devil:
Ooh, the CA spokes-model shows up for the cause!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Only three more days!
And then PF turns back into a pumpkin? O Noes!

Nothing yet.

Borek said:
Nothing yet.

Winners will be announced on 15th November.

Yeah, they posted the information somewhere between my post and yours.

Perhaps they are trying to contact you so that you can collect a fat check.

Yarrrrg I hate waiting!

Borek said:
Perhaps they are trying to contact you so that you can collect a fat check.
Or hold his feet to the fire to drive PF business to physics.org. :devil: Greg has a LOT of traffic!

Quote from physics.org

The winners will be announced on Monday 15th November.

http://www.physics.org/featuredetail.asp?id=52"

Acck! Seriously, seriously, seriously dislike waiting.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I missed reading Cristo's post.

Edited again: I *still* don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apparently, PF is the best Question and Answer, QA, sight. Well, it had five stars. It didn't seem to be a contender in the 'revision' thing that other posters mentioned. I couldn't figure out how to vote. Maybe it's too late. The benefit for me as an inquisitive individual is getting turned on to other websites.

Now and then I still see "Vote for Physics Forums in the physics.org Best Q&A site category! " notice, even if voting has already ended on Monday.

Tomorrow...

Nothing yet...

People's choice winner: Physics Forums!

But to find it you have to be patient and scroll down, down, down...

Edit:

physics_org.png

Last edited:

We already knew that right, how about the judges? :smile:

When I browse the last word it is very difficult to find answers, most questions don't even have an answer over there?

I think PF is a lot better :biggrin:

Last edited:

I have a feeling some of the older/professional audience perceives forums as places run by anarchistic teenagers, not a place for a serious discussion, so I am not surprised by the judges verdict.

I am present at chemical forums and at the same time I am a member of a discussion list for chemistry educators. More than once I have read at CHEMED-L that forums are place where people solve HW for others and where the drug makers share recipes. CF rules are not as stringent as PF rules, but they are very similar in the spirit, so such opinion is unjust - but it exists and my efforts to explain it is wrong didn't work. I guess something similar can be at work here.

But the last word is a forum as well, only in a different layout. I guess it was selected because it is a spin-off from the New Scientist. I do like their arty orange/blue background, it gives the site its own identity.

*Cheers that we have the people's choice award*
party0002.gif

I think what matters is the people's choice, don't you think... Heh, judges!

WAY TO GO PF!
HURRAY!

Borek said:
I have a feeling some of the older/professional audience perceives forums as places run by anarchistic teenagers, not a place for a serious discussion, so I am not surprised by the judges verdict.

I am present at chemical forums and at the same time I am a member of a discussion list for chemistry educators. More than once I have read at CHEMED-L that forums are place where people solve HW for others and where the drug makers share recipes. CF rules are not as stringent as PF rules, but they are very similar in the spirit, so such opinion is unjust - but it exists and my efforts to explain it is wrong didn't work. I guess something similar can be at work here.

Well, the people who think that can go to 4chan for all I care.

Woot for the People's Choice award!

congrats to Pf ,mentors and admin !
It truly is a great site !. well deserved for the effort.

Char. Limit said:
Well, the people who think that can go to 4chan for all I care.

Beware, your chemistry prof can be one of them.

Borek said:
Beware, your chemistry prof can be one of them.

And I think that she sometimes goes on 4chan.

Congratulations to all!