Calculating Energy Lost Due to Flue Gases

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of estimating energy lost due to flue gases in a specific time period, taking into account the linear heating schedule and the specific enthalpy change. The correct method to calculate this energy loss is by integrating the specific enthalpy function over the given time interval and then using the change in specific enthalpy and mass of the fumes to calculate the energy lost.
fantommass
Hi!

I'm working on problem, where I have to estimate energy, lost due to flue gases, i.e. some amount of natural gases burned in some time period, say [t0;t1].
Burning is used for some material heating. I need to find energy, lost by gases (gases, after combustion), which goes out from flue. Heating is performed linearly, for example from point [0;100] to [2;400] (first coordinate is time in hours and second is temperature), so temperature dependence is like this:
T(t)=150t+100​
I was told that I have to calcule specific enthalpy change in order to calculate energy lost by fumes:
Qf=MΔhf
where M is mass of fumes and Δhf is specific enthalpy change.
Also I know that specific enthalpy depends on temperature throuth relation:
hf(T)=0.28T-4.6​

So, for specified heating schedule, enthalpy depends on temperature through this:
hf(t)=0.28(150t+100)-4.6=42t+23.4​

I'm I write, when I calculate change of specific enthalpy by integrating in time interval function hf(t)?:

Δhf=∫(42t+23.4)dt​

Physics news on Phys.org
=(42t^2/2+23.4t)|t0→t1And then I can calculate energy lost by fumes?Yes, that is the correct way to calculate the energy loss of the fumes. You would then use the change in specific enthalpy (Δhf) and the mass (M) of the fumes to calculate the energy lost: Qf = MΔhf.

1. How do you calculate the energy lost due to flue gases?

To calculate the energy lost due to flue gases, you need to know the mass flow rate of the flue gases, the specific heat capacity of the flue gases, and the temperature difference between the flue gases and the surroundings. The formula for calculating energy lost due to flue gases is: Energy Lost = Mass Flow Rate x Specific Heat Capacity x Temperature Difference.

2. Why is it important to calculate the energy lost due to flue gases?

Calculating the energy lost due to flue gases is important because it allows us to determine the efficiency of a heating system. The more energy lost through the flue gases, the less efficient the system is. By calculating this energy loss, we can identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to increase the efficiency of the heating system.

3. How do you measure the temperature difference between the flue gases and the surroundings?

The temperature difference between the flue gases and the surroundings can be measured using a thermometer. The thermometer should be placed in the flue gas stream and then the temperature can be recorded. The same should be done for the surroundings, such as the room where the heating system is located. The temperature difference can then be calculated by subtracting the surrounding temperature from the flue gas temperature.

4. What factors can affect the energy lost due to flue gases?

The energy lost due to flue gases can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel being burned, the efficiency of the heating system, the design of the flue gas system, and the temperature of the flue gases. Other factors such as air leaks, clogged filters, and improper maintenance can also contribute to the energy loss.

5. Can the energy lost due to flue gases be reduced?

Yes, the energy lost due to flue gases can be reduced by improving the efficiency of the heating system. This can be achieved by regularly maintaining and cleaning the system, ensuring proper insulation and sealing of air leaks, and using more efficient fuels. By reducing the energy lost through the flue gases, we can save money on energy costs and reduce our carbon footprint.