Divisibilty related problem

• Thread starter sparsh12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a specific value for variable x in terms of constant n, given the conditions that 10x+1 divides both n-x and 10n+1. The conversation also mentions linear systems of congruence equations and the Chinese remainder theorem as potential methods for solving the problem.
sparsh12
if,

10x+1 divides n-x

and 10x +1 divides 10n +1 , where x is a variable and positive integer while n is a constant and positive integer.

then, is there a way to find, of what form x must be, in terms of 'n' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
sparsh12 said:
if,

10x+1 divides n-x

and 10x +1 divides 10n +1 , where x is a variable and positive integer while n is a constant and positive integer.

then, is there a way to find, of what form x must be, in terms of 'n' ?

Hey sparsh12 and welcome to the forums.

Have you dealt with linear systems of congruence equations? Do you know how to solve linear congruence equations? Have you heard of the chinese remainder theorem?

--> Yeah i have heard of Chinese remainder theorem but i have never dealt with linear systems of congruence equations.

--> And i observed that both congruences are actually equivalent, so i feel the problem doesnot remain a system of congruence equation, as i infer from it's name.

--> But the problem remains unsolved for me.

--> Apart from all that i have a book of elementary number theory by David Burton.i would try to go through it.

Yes, there is a way to find the form of x in terms of n. We can use the concept of divisibility to solve this problem. Since 10x+1 divides n-x, we can write n-x as a multiple of 10x+1:

n-x = k(10x+1)

where k is a positive integer. We can then rearrange this equation to solve for x:

x = (n-k)/(10k+1)

This shows that x must be in the form of (n-k)/(10k+1) in order for 10x+1 to divide both n-x and 10n+1. Therefore, x must be a fraction with a numerator of n-k and a denominator of 10k+1, where k is a positive integer.

What is divisibility and why is it important in science?

Divisibility is the ability of a number to be divided evenly by another number without leaving a remainder. It is important in science because it allows us to simplify calculations and understand patterns in data.

How do I determine if a number is divisible by another number?

To determine if a number is divisible by another number, you can use the divisibility rules. For example, a number is divisible by 2 if it ends in 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8. A number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. A number is divisible by 5 if it ends in 0 or 5. There are similar rules for other numbers as well.

What is the difference between divisibility and being a factor?

Divisibility is the ability to be divided evenly by another number, while a factor is a number that divides into another number without leaving a remainder. For example, 6 is divisible by 2 because it can be divided evenly, but 6 is a factor of 12 because it divides into 12 without leaving a remainder.

How can I use divisibility to solve real-world problems?

Divisibility can be used to solve problems involving fractions, proportions, and ratios. It can also be used to find the least common multiple or greatest common factor of two or more numbers, which is useful in many scientific and mathematical concepts.

What are some common mistakes when dealing with divisibility problems?

Some common mistakes when dealing with divisibility problems include forgetting to check all the divisibility rules, using incorrect divisibility rules, and not simplifying fractions or ratios when possible. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct rules and simplifying as much as possible.