How does temperature and pH affect the solubility of p-nitrophenol?

• Thread starter sweetburntlip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation is about the solubility of p-nitrophenol and how to make a 1 molar solution of the substance. The pKa of p-nitrophenol is 7.08 at 20∘C, and its solubility is 11.6 g/L at 20 °C. Heating up and increasing pH can increase the solubility, but it may not reach the desired concentration. Diluting the solution to a lower concentration may be necessary. It is also suggested to add excess base to dissolve the substance and it is mentioned that it is common to dilute the stock solution for final use.
sweetburntlip
Hi!

Can anyone inform me on the solubility of p-nitrophenol? I want to make 1 molar solution of the substance, which is 0.0139g/100 ul (MW is 139). Unfortunately, my solution seems to be supersaturated as the solute is still visible.

Do I need to do anything to my solution to make it soluble?

At Wikipedia, the pKa of p-nitrophenol is 7.08 at 20∘C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia lists solubility as 11.6 g/L (20 °C), almost 10 times lower than you need. Heating up and increasing pH should increase the solubility, whether it will get high enough - hard to say. Question is - does hot alkaline solution fit your needs?

Thanks for your reply.

I diluted it instead to 100ml to make 10mM solution as it was impossible to dilute at 1M.

I'm studying adsorption kinetics of PNP, need to prepare complete soluble of PNP solution, I do add the solid of PNP into deionized distilled water then heating up to 80deg C and stirring at 1000rpm for few hours, but still exists very tiny solid/particle. Is it considered completely soluble?

I think you'll be able to dissolve it if you add excess base.

Borek said:
Question is - does hot alkaline solution fit your needs?
I'm guessing this is s stock solution that will be diluted for final use. (I can't imagine why anyone would directly use a 1M solution.) If so, and as long as it will be diluted into buffer, some excess base shouldn't be a big problem.

1. What is the solubility of p-nitrophenol in water?

The solubility of p-nitrophenol in water is approximately 0.19 g/L at 25°C.

2. How does the solubility of p-nitrophenol change with temperature?

The solubility of p-nitrophenol in water increases as temperature increases. At 50°C, the solubility is approximately 0.24 g/L.

3. What factors can affect the solubility of p-nitrophenol?

The solubility of p-nitrophenol can be affected by temperature, pH, and the presence of other solutes or substances in the solution.

4. Is p-nitrophenol more soluble in acidic or basic solutions?

p-nitrophenol is more soluble in basic solutions. Its solubility decreases as the solution becomes more acidic.

5. How is the solubility of p-nitrophenol measured in the laboratory?

The solubility of p-nitrophenol can be measured in the laboratory by preparing a saturated solution at a specific temperature and measuring the amount of p-nitrophenol dissolved. The solubility is then calculated using the mass of p-nitrophenol and the volume of the solution.