Understanding Inflation: Effects of Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking on Gravity

In summary, the effect of a transition in the Higgs field from an unstable to a stable equilibrium in classical GR is a change in the stress-energy tensor, which can ultimately affect the curvature of spacetime. Before the transition, the field contributes to inflation, while after the transition, it contributes to a radiation-dominated universe.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I'm trying to understand inflation (in the cosmic sense). I know that ultimately that's a subject that involves both quantum field theory and General Relativity, but I'm wondering to what extent it can be understood from the point of view of classical (non-quantum) GR.

If you have a classical field like the Higgs that is initially in an unstable equilbrium, then it can make a transition to a stable equilibrium and release energy. What I don't understand is the effect of this transition on gravity (or spacetime curvature). The transition converts a kind of potential energy in the field to active energy in the form of heat. But in GR, potential energy curves spacetime just as other kinds of energy does. So would such a transition have an effect on spacetime curvature at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
stevendaryl said:
The transition converts a kind of potential energy in the field to active energy in the form of heat. But in GR, potential energy curves spacetime just as other kinds of energy does. So would such a transition have an effect on spacetime curvature at all?

Yes. Before the transition, the Higgs field has an effective stress-energy tensor that is equivalent to a large positive cosmological constant, i.e., ##T_{ab} = \Lambda g_{ab}## with ##\Lambda## large and positive. This is what causes inflation, i.e., exponentially accelerating expansion.

After the transition, the SET is now a highly relativistic fluid with a large energy density. This SET looks something like ##T_{ab} = \left( \rho + p \right) u^a u^b + p g_{ab}##, where ##u^a## is the fluid 4-velocity and ##p \approx \frac{1}{3} \rho## (because the fluid is highly relativistic). This sort of SET does not cause inflation; its dynamics are that of a radiation-dominated universe, with a decelerating expansion.

1. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that appears symmetrical at first glance actually has a hidden symmetry that is broken. This can occur in various physical systems, including in the context of gravity.

2. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking affect gravity?

In the context of gravity, spontaneous symmetry breaking can lead to the emergence of mass in particles that were originally thought to be massless. This is known as the Higgs mechanism and it helps explain why certain particles have mass.

3. What is the role of inflation in spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Inflation is a theory that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the early stages of its formation. It is thought that during this period, spontaneous symmetry breaking occurred and set the stage for the formation of the fundamental forces, including gravity.

4. How does understanding inflation help us understand the effects of spontaneous symmetry breaking on gravity?

By studying inflation, scientists can gain a better understanding of the conditions that led to spontaneous symmetry breaking and its effects on gravity. This can help us develop more accurate models and theories about the universe and its formation.

5. What are some potential implications of understanding the effects of spontaneous symmetry breaking on gravity?

Understanding the effects of spontaneous symmetry breaking on gravity can have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. It can also help us develop new technologies and potentially lead to new discoveries in physics and cosmology.