Calculating Water Flow from Burst Pipe in Chicago

In summary, the conversation revolved around estimating the amount of water that was dumped on the roof of a public building in Chicago due to a broken pipe. The relevant information included the diameter of the burst pipe, water temperature, and pressure. The water flowed for 45 minutes before being shut off, and the break allowed water to flow freely from a 3/4 inch diameter opening. The formula for this calculation, specifically using Bernoulli's equation, was requested in order to make the estimation.
berniebs
A pipe broke on the roof of a public building here in Chicago. Although I am an electrical engineer and very rusty on hydraulics and water flow, I have been asked to estimate the amount of water dumped on the roof of this building, as follows:

Diameter of the burst pipe: 3/4 in.
Water temperature: 130 degr F
Pressure: 15 lbs

Water flowed for 45 minutes before being shut off. I assume the break allowed water to flow freely from a 3/4 in diameter opening.

I would appreciate it if someone can send me the formula for this calculation. I have searched a number of PF postings, without luck.

Thanks,

berniebs
berniebs@comcast.net

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

berniebs said:
… I have been asked to estimate the amount of water dumped on the roof of this building, as follows:

Diameter of the burst pipe: 3/4 in.
Water temperature: 130 degr F
Pressure: 15 lbs

Water flowed for 45 minutes before being shut off. I assume the break allowed water to flow freely from a 3/4 in diameter opening.

Hi berniebs! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Bernoulli's equation along a streamline (essentially, KE = work done ), assuming zero speed at zero pressure:
pressure + (density)(speed)2/2 = 0

and of course flow rate = speed x area.

(For details to impress your colleagues with, see the PF Library :wink:)

I can provide you with the formula and steps to calculate the water flow from the burst pipe in Chicago. The formula for water flow is Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and v is the velocity of the water.

First, we need to calculate the cross-sectional area of the pipe. The diameter of the pipe is given as 3/4 inches, which is equivalent to 0.75 inches. We can use the formula for the area of a circle, A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the pipe. The radius can be calculated by dividing the diameter by 2, so the radius in this case would be 0.375 inches. Plugging these values into the formula, we get A = π * (0.375)^2 = 0.4418 square inches.

Next, we need to calculate the velocity of the water. We can use the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the pressure energy of a fluid is equal to its kinetic energy. In this case, the pressure is given as 15 lbs and the temperature of the water is 130 degrees Fahrenheit. We can use a conversion factor to convert the pressure from lbs to psi (pounds per square inch), which would be 2.03602 psi. Similarly, we can also convert the temperature from degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Rankine, which would be 690 degrees Rankine. Plugging these values into the Bernoulli's equation, we get v = √(2 * 2.03602 * 144 * (1 - (690/518.67)^1.4)) = 97.301 inches per second.

Finally, we can plug the values of A and v into the formula for water flow, Q = 0.4418 * 97.301 = 42.95 cubic inches per second. This is the flow rate of water from the burst pipe. To calculate the total amount of water dumped on the roof, we need to convert the flow rate from cubic inches per second to gallons per minute, since the water flowed for 45 minutes. This can be done by multiplying the flow rate by 0.004329, which gives us 0.186 gallons per minute. Multiplying this by 45 minutes, we get a total of 8.37 gallons of water.

I hope this helps

1. How is water flow calculated from a burst pipe in Chicago?

The water flow from a burst pipe in Chicago can be calculated using the following formula:
Flow = Area x Velocity, where Area is the cross-sectional area of the pipe and Velocity is the speed at which the water is flowing. This formula is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of water entering the pipe must be equal to the volume of water exiting the pipe.

2. What factors affect the water flow from a burst pipe?

The water flow from a burst pipe can be affected by several factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the pressure of the water, and the length of the pipe. Other factors that can affect the water flow include the type and condition of the pipe, the temperature of the water, and any obstructions or blockages in the pipe.

3. How can the water flow from a burst pipe be measured?

The water flow from a burst pipe can be measured using a flow meter, which is a device that measures the volume of water passing through a pipe per unit time. Another way to measure the water flow is by using a stopwatch and a measuring container. Simply collect the water that flows out of the burst pipe for a specific amount of time and then calculate the flow rate using the volume and time measurements.

4. Can the water flow from a burst pipe be controlled?

In most cases, the water flow from a burst pipe cannot be controlled until the pipe is repaired or replaced. However, if the burst pipe is connected to a valve or faucet, it is possible to shut off the water flow by turning off the valve or closing the faucet. This can help prevent further damage and allow for easier repairs.

5. How can the water flow from a burst pipe be prevented?

The best way to prevent water flow from a burst pipe is by regularly inspecting and maintaining the pipes in your home or building. This includes checking for any signs of damage or corrosion, and repairing or replacing any old or worn out pipes. It is also important to be mindful of extreme temperatures, as freezing temperatures can cause pipes to burst. Insulating pipes in colder climates can help prevent this issue.