Calculating Heat Loss in Pipes with Air Flow and Water Surrounding

In summary: CFMThe temperature at the end of the pipe would be:
Flyfisherman
I am new and have a math and finance background. Because of my work I am starting to get into engineering related questions, specifically in piping. I flyfish a lot and can give pointers to anyone that helps me with my questions.

Say I have a 5-10' length of pvc, metal or copper pipe that is 4 or 5" diameter with x number of feet in pvc pipe attached to it. The 5-10' length is surrounded by 67°F water and the air traveling through the pipe is 70-100°F The air traveling through the pipe is exchanged at a rate of 45 cfm. The air is filtered, so there might be turbulence and I will have to calculated with and without turbulence. My question is how to calculate what 45 cfm flowing through a 4-5" diameter pipe 5-10' length will cool to? 90°F air going in and x temp coming out of the 5-10' section that is surrounded by 67°F water.
Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Even if there is little or no turbulence there will still be convection, so I would take the temperature to be uniform across each section of pipe. Can you write the equation on that basis?

Not enough info to go forward as I don't even know the equation. I am lost trying to figure out how much a 5-10' section of 4-5" pipe surrounded by water would cool the air going through it.

Flyfisherman said:
Not enough info to go forward as I don't even know the equation. I am lost trying to figure out how much a 5-10' section of 4-5" pipe surrounded by water would cool the air going through it.
I would treat it the same as each short section of air being static in an ambient θext = 67F for a period L/v, where v is the velocity of the air and L the length of pipe.
If its temperature at some instant is θ, its rate of cooling will depend in a straightforward way on:
- θ-θext
- the conductivity of the pipe material
- the radius of the pipe
- the thickness of the pipe
- the specific heat (constant pressure) of the gas
- the density of the section (which again depends on θ)
Can you write the differential equation now?

Edit: I had written "water" in two places where I meant "air". Now corrected.

Last edited:
I can find all those numbers, but it will take time. Do you have a more detailed equation for me to use. I am leaving the internet webs for the holidays, so it will be a week before I get back to you. Thanks

Thickness .125" and 4.875" inner diameter and Thermal conductivity at 25°C is 401 as an example.

36 feet per second

Or this question might be simpler and help me as well. Say you have a 10’ long 4-5” diameter copper pipe or pvc pipe surrounded by 65°F water and 45 cfm of air flowing through it. What is the temperature of the air at the end of the pipe if the beginning starts at 65°F? How long would it take 45 cfm of air to flow through. If you know the equation it will help a lot.

In this system the heat transfer resistance will be dominated by the resistance on the gas side. I have done some calculations to estimate the overall heat transfer coefficient, and it will be about ##U=1 Btu/(hr-ft^2-F).## The equation for heat transfer in this system will be $$WC_p\frac{dT}{dx}=\pi D U(T_0-T)$$ where W is the mass rate of flow of air (~200 ##lb_m##/hr), Cp is the heat capacity of air (0.24 ##Btu/(lb_m-F)##), x is distance along the pipe, D is the inside diameter, and ##T_0## is the outside temperature, 67F. The solution to this equation is $$\frac{T_{out}-T_0}{T_{in}-T_0}=e^{-\frac{UA}{WC_p}}$$
where A is the heat transfer area ##\pi DL##. When you run this calculation, you will find that there is very little cooling of the air stream between the inlet and the outlet of the pipe.

What if the air coming into the pipe is 90°F? What would the end temperature be if it is surrounded by 65°F water?

Flyfisherman said:
What if the air coming into the pipe is 90°F? What would the end temperature be if it is surrounded by 65°F water?
Above 80 F.

Thank you again for your help. I am not following the math on this. If you have time can you plug the numbers in? I am curious as to the 45cfm of air flow through the pipe and how much that will affect the 80°F+ number.

The calculations are based on the following properties of air at 90 F:

viscosity = ##\mu=1.90\times10^{-4}\ \frac{gm}{cm-sec}##

heat capacity = ##C_p=0.24\ \frac{Btu}{lb-F}##

thermal conductivity = ##k=0.0459\ \frac{Btu}{hr-ft-F}##

density = ##\rho=0.0723\ \frac{lb}{ft^3}=1.16\times 10^{-3}\ \frac{gm}{cm^3}##

Prantdl number = ##\frac{C_p \mu}{k}=0.712##

Calculation of pipe cross sectional area: ##A=\frac{\pi}{4}D^2=\frac{\pi}{4}\left(\frac{4.875}{12}\right)=0.1296\ ft^2##

Calculation of mass flow rate: W=(45)(0.1296)=3.258 lb/min = 195 lb/hr = 0.0543 lb/sec = 24.65 gm/sec

Calculation of Reynolds number for flow: ##Re=\frac{4W}{\pi \mu D}=\frac{4(24.65)}{\pi (1.9\times 10^{-4})(4.875\times\ 2.54)}=13340##

From table 14.3 in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, the Colburn j-factor at this Reynolds number is 0.004, where the j-factor is defined as:$$j=\frac{\left(\frac{hD}{k}\right)}{Re\ Pr^{1/3}}$$where h is the heat transfer coefficient. In the figure, the j-factor is very insensitive to Reynolds number in this range of Reynolds number. So, we have:

$$\frac{hD}{k}=0.004(13340)(0.712)^{1/3}=47.6$$So, calculating the heat transfer coefficient, we obtain: $$h=(47.6)(0.0459)/(4.875/12)=5.4\ \frac{Btu}{hr-ft^2-F}$$

The heat transfer inside of the pipe dominates the heat transfer resistance, so the overall heat transfer coefficient U is also equal to ##5.4\ \frac{Btu}{hr-ft^2-F}##. So the dimensionless group ##\frac{U\pi D L}{WC_p}## is given by:

$$\frac{U\pi D L}{WC_p}=\frac{(5.4)(\pi)(4.875/12)(10)}{(195)(0.24)}=1.47$$
So the outlet temperature is $$T_{out}=T_{water}+(T_{in}-T_{water})e^{-1.47}=65+(90-65)(0.2306)=71 F$$

I guess my earlier calculations had some errors. Sorry about that.

Wow so 90F to 71F with only 10' of pipe is impressive... I appreciate the help.

Flyfisherman said:
Wow so 90F to 71F with only 10' of pipe is impressive... I appreciate the help.
The reason for this is that the mass flow rate of the air is very low, and its heat capacity is 4x lower than water.

I wish I studied more of it in college as it interests me now. I am going to have to figure out the amount of water to surround the pipe with as the water will be surrounded with earth. Then to figure the 45cfm - 80 cfm of air flow through the pipe how much the 71°F will increase.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is pipe heat loss calculation?

Pipe heat loss calculation is a method used to determine the amount of heat that is lost from a pipe system. This is important in industries where maintaining a certain temperature within the pipes is crucial, such as in HVAC systems or chemical processing plants.

2. Why is pipe heat loss calculation important?

Pipe heat loss calculation is important because it helps to ensure that the pipes are properly insulated to prevent heat loss. This can save energy and reduce costs, as well as maintain the desired temperature for the transported fluids or gases.

3. How is pipe heat loss calculated?

Pipe heat loss is calculated by considering factors such as the type of insulation used, the diameter and length of the pipe, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the pipe, and the ambient temperature. These factors are used in a mathematical formula to determine the heat loss.

4. What are the different types of insulation used in pipe heat loss calculation?

The most common types of insulation used in pipe heat loss calculation are foam, fiberglass, and reflective foil. Each type has different thermal properties and is suitable for different temperature ranges and environments.

5. Can pipe heat loss calculation be done manually or is a software needed?

Pipe heat loss calculation can be done manually using mathematical formulas, but it can be time-consuming and prone to errors. Therefore, it is recommended to use specialized software that can accurately calculate the heat loss based on the specific parameters of the pipe system.