What happens when we measure spin of a fermion?

In summary, the measurement of spin for a fermion in the direction of a unit vector will result in either a value of +0.5 or -0.5, and the fermion will adopt an eigenstate of the spin operator aligned with the direction of a. Alternatively, the result could also be a value of 0.5 cos θ, where θ is the angle between a and the direction of spin the particle has adopted as a result of the measurement, with θ ranging from 0 to π. This understanding is crucial in comprehending Bell's paper on the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to understand the measurement of spin, in order to understand Bell's paper on the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox.

When we measure the spin of a fermion in the direction of unit vector a, will the result be:

1. a value of either +0.5 or -0.5, and upon measurement, the fermion adopts an eigenstate of the spin operator in which the spin is aligned with a

or

2. a value of 0.5 cos θ, where θ is the angle between a and the direction of spin the particle has adopted as a result of the measurement, and θ may be anywhere in [0, π)

or is it something else?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. a value of either +0.5 or -0.5, and upon measurement, the fermion adopts an eigenstate of the spin operator in which the spin is aligned with a
This one is correct.

Thank you Bill.
I meant to say thanks earlier, but I got a bit carried away reading the Bell paper when I found I could actually understand it.

1. What is a fermion?

A fermion is a type of elementary particle that is characterized by its half-integer spin. Examples of fermions include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. How is spin measured?

Spin can be measured using a device called a Stern-Gerlach apparatus, which uses a magnetic field to deflect particles with different spin orientations.

3. What happens when we measure spin?

When we measure the spin of a fermion, we collapse its wave function and obtain a specific value for its spin. This value can be either "up" or "down", corresponding to the two possible spin orientations for fermions.

4. Why is measuring spin important?

Measuring spin is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental properties of particles and their behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Can spin be changed or manipulated?

Yes, spin can be changed or manipulated through various processes such as collisions, interactions with magnetic fields, and quantum entanglement. This allows us to control and utilize the properties of fermions in different applications.