Two questions - Newton's Laws

In summary, to find out how much ballast needs to be thrown off the car to give the balloon an upward acceleration, you need to use the Archimedes' equation and the gravity equation.
Anisotropic Galaxy
A research balloon of total mass M is descending vertically with download acceleration a. How much ballast must be thrown from the car to give the balloon an upward acceleration a, assuming that the upward lift of the air on the balloon does not change?

I get m = (2aM)/(g+a), where g is Earth's gravity, M mass of balloon, and m mass of ballast. It doesn't sound right though.. Can someone please help me with this?

Ok, and as for the other... (very simple)

Two 10-lb weights are attached to a spring scale on opposite sides of each other. What is the reading of the scale? Should it be 10 lbs? Also, what if a single 10-lb weight is attached to a spring scale attached to a wall? Should the scale still be 10 lbs due to equal and opposite forces? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does your solution of the first problem not "sound right?"

you must use the archimede's equation for the balloon to find out the lift force of the air effect on the balloon. and then use the gravity equation to find the weight of the balloon.and you must know the density of the gas you ut into the balloon.

for the second one: i am actually don't know what is the "reading" means. but i think if you mention about the force when two weights attached to the spring i think there are no force effect between them.but if it is mention about the middle weight i think in real you can not have the "reading of the scale" .for the "what if" question i can say yes ! if this is a single system-no have anyforce except the force between the objcts in the system. see you!

Since the buoyant force does not change when dropping ballast he does not need explicitly to calculate it.

Could somebody explain the balloon problem?

Thanks

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental laws that describe the motion of objects in the universe. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How are Newton's Laws applied in everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion have practical applications in many aspects of everyday life, such as driving a car, playing sports, and using simple machines. They also help explain the behavior of objects in the universe, from the motion of planets to the flight of airplanes.