Find the tension in the hitch when a car is towing a trailer

In summary, the problem involves a car towing a boat on a trailer. The combined mass of the boat and trailer is 562 kg, and the frictional force on the trailer can be ignored. The tension in the hitch connecting the trailer to the car is determined using the formula sigma F = m * a, where a is the acceleration found by dividing the final velocity by the time. The answer, 416 N, is correct if the mass of the car is assumed to be negligible.
lalalah
I think I basically get the gist of this problem, but I want to know wjether i did everything correctly.
So...

1. A car is towing a boat on a trailer. The driver starts from rest and accelerates to a velocity of +18.5 m/s in a time of 25 s. The combined mass of the boat and trailer is 562 kg. The frictional force acting on the trailer can be ignored. What is the tension in the hitch that connects the trailer to the car?

2. using a = v/t , m_u * FN = fk (this might be relevvant, but i didn't use it myself), sigmaFx = m2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply multiplied the mass of the car and trailer by the acceleration found by dividing the velocity by time.
However, this is so simple of an approach that I feel doubts as to whether it is the correct measure:

sigma F = 562 kg * [(18.5 m/s)/(25 s)]
sigma F = 416 N?

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
lalalah said:
I think I basically get the gist of this problem, but I want to know wjether i did everything correctly.
So...

1. A car is towing a boat on a trailer. The driver starts from rest and accelerates to a velocity of +18.5 m/s in a time of 25 s. The combined mass of the boat and trailer is 562 kg. The frictional force acting on the trailer can be ignored. What is the tension in the hitch that connects the trailer to the car?

2. using a = v/t , m_u * FN = fk (this might be relevvant, but i didn't use it myself), sigmaFx = m2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply multiplied the mass of the car and trailer by the acceleration found by dividing the velocity by time.
However, this is so simple of an approach that I feel doubts as to whether it is the correct measure:

sigma F = 562 kg * [(18.5 m/s)/(25 s)]
sigma F = 416 N?

is this right?
Is the mass of the car given? The problem states the mass of the boat and trailer only. Your answer is correct only if you assume the car has negligible mass, which is a bit silly, so that's why I'm wondering if you left out something in the problem statement.

so it's correct? yay! the weight of the car is negligable

lalalah said:
so it's correct? yay! the weight of the car is negligable
Don't tell my beat up Chevy, you'll hurt its feelings.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when two objects are pulled away from each other. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is tension calculated in this scenario?

Tension in the hitch can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the trailer by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. Does the weight of the car affect the tension in the hitch?

Yes, the weight of the car plays a role in determining the tension in the hitch. The heavier the car, the more force it will exert on the hitch and the greater the tension will be.

4. Can the tension in the hitch be greater than the weight of the trailer?

Yes, it is possible for the tension in the hitch to be greater than the weight of the trailer. This can happen if the car is accelerating or going up a hill, which requires more force to overcome the inertia of the trailer.

5. What factors can affect the tension in the hitch?

The tension in the hitch can be affected by the weight of the trailer, the weight and acceleration of the car, the angle of the road, and any external forces such as wind resistance.