Mass of fuel burned in car over distance with changing mass

In summary, the student attempts to find how much fuel it takes to drive a certain distance with a constant velocity. They consider fuel power, the power required to keep the velocity constant, and the mass of fuel needed to reach the destination. They find that the mass of fuel needed to reach the destination is 0 when the car is moving at a constant velocity.
Belginator

Homework Statement

Hi! I seem to be having some difficulty with this one, any help would be appreciated. There is a car, assume it for simplicity to be a rectangular prism of dimensions l,w and h. The car is moving at a constant velocity [itex] v [/itex], and assume there is a drag force [itex] D = 0.5 \rho v^2 C_D h w [/itex] and a frictional force μ. We know that the fuel has an effective energy content of [itex] E_f = 15kWh/kg [/itex]. The total mass of the car is defined as M + m, where m is the fuel mass and M everything else. R is the distance the car travels. Essentially how much fuel is needed to go a certain distance R, knowing that over the distance the car gets lighter as fuel is burned, which means the force required to keep the constant velocity decreases.

2. The attempt at a solution

My thought process is that the Power required to keep the car moving at the constant velocity is the amount of power needed from the fuel. The power required: [itex] P_{req} = (μ(m+M)g + D)v [/itex]. I think the average power of the fuel can be defined as: [itex] P_{fuel} = \frac{E_f m v}{R} [/itex] I want everything in terms of distance rather than time that's why I have v and R in that equation rather than time.

I believe fuel power is average since it's over a distance, R, so to make it instantaneous power I say: [itex] P_{fuel} = \frac{E_f dm v}{dR} [/itex]. The power required by the car is already instantaneous since m is instantaneous and changes over R (or time, same thing, as fuel is burned).

I set the power required and the fuel power equal to each other as follows:

[itex] \frac{E_f dm v}{dR} = (\mu (m+M)g + D) v [/itex], the v's cancel. Seperation of variables:

[itex] \frac{E_f}{\mu g (m+M)+D} dm = dR [/itex]

After integrating and solving for fuel mass, m:

[itex] m = \frac{e^{\frac{\mu g R}{E_f}} - D}{\mu g} - M + C_0 [/itex]

It seems to make sense that the mass of fuel m needed to drive a distance, R of 0 is 0. Using that as the initial condition to solve for [itex] C_0 [/itex] I get:

[itex] m = \frac{e^{\frac{\mu g R}{E_f}} - 1}{\mu g} [/itex]

That doesn't make logical sense however, it should be a function of drag and velocity as well, I would think, because if you have two cars, one with a higher velocity than the other, but constant, the higher velocity car should burn more fuel since it has more drag. Perhaps my setup is completely wrong, I don't know. Again, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the frictional force is mu as stated in your problem statement, why are you concerned with the weight of the vehicle?

μ is actually stated as a percent of the instantaneous weight. So the frictional force: [itex] F_f = \mu mg [/itex] changes as mass changes which changes the power required to keep the velocity constant. The power required to keep the constant velocity, I believe, would be exponentially decreasing, as less and less fuel is required to maintain the velocity due to a lighter and lighter vehicle.

Can you write an equation that relates the power input to the power expended? You basically have it with your first equation:

P = (mu(m+M)g+D)v

The power input can be written in terms of fuel consumption

P = (dm/dt)E

If you solve the differential equation with time as the independent variable, you get an expression for m in terms of t. The t variable can always be related to R, the range, by dividing R by v.

Hello, it seems like you have made some good progress in your attempt to solve this problem. However, there are some aspects that need to be clarified.

Firstly, your equation for power required to keep the car moving at a constant velocity is correct, but the units are not. The units of power are Joules per second (J/s) or Watts (W), so the equation should be P_req = (μ(m+M)g + D)v.

Secondly, your equation for average power of the fuel is also correct, but the units are not. The units of average power are Joules (J) per distance (dR), so the equation should be P_fuel = E_fmv/R.

Now, when setting these two equations equal to each other, you are essentially equating power with power. This is not the correct approach, as the power required to keep the car moving is not equal to the power provided by the fuel. The power required is the power needed to overcome the forces (drag and friction) and maintain a constant velocity, while the power provided by the fuel is the energy released per distance traveled. These are two different quantities and cannot be equated.

To solve this problem, you need to use the concept of work. The work done by the forces (drag and friction) is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the car. This work can also be expressed as the force multiplied by the distance traveled. On the other hand, the work done by the fuel is equal to the energy released per distance traveled multiplied by the distance traveled. Setting these two works equal to each other and solving for the fuel mass will give you the correct result.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

What is the definition of "mass of fuel burned in car over distance with changing mass"?

"Mass of fuel burned in car over distance with changing mass" refers to the amount of fuel consumed by a car as it travels a certain distance, while taking into account changes in the car's mass due to factors such as acceleration, braking, and cargo load.

How is the mass of fuel burned in a car calculated?

The mass of fuel burned in a car can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the car by its fuel efficiency, which is typically measured in miles per gallon (mpg). This calculation takes into account changes in the car's mass over the course of the journey.

What factors can affect the mass of fuel burned in a car over distance?

The mass of fuel burned in a car can be affected by several factors, including the car's fuel efficiency, speed, driving habits, road conditions, and changes in the car's mass due to acceleration, braking, and cargo load.

How can the mass of fuel burned in a car be reduced?

The mass of fuel burned in a car can be reduced by practicing fuel-efficient driving habits, such as maintaining a steady speed, avoiding unnecessary acceleration and braking, and removing excess weight from the car. Regular maintenance and using a fuel-efficient vehicle can also help reduce fuel consumption.

What are the implications of changing mass on the mass of fuel burned in a car over distance?

The changing mass of a car can have a significant impact on the mass of fuel burned over distance. Accelerating and braking require more fuel to be burned, while carrying a heavier load also increases fuel consumption. Thus, being aware of these factors and making conscious efforts to reduce unnecessary changes in the car's mass can help reduce fuel consumption and save money on gas.