Square of the sum = Sum of the cubes

In summary: To do this, we need to show that if the relationship is true for n0, then it is also true for n+1. To do this, we need to show that if the relationship is true for n0+1, then it is also true for n+1+1. To show this, we need to show that if the relationship is true for n0+1, then it is also true for n+1+2. And so on. The process of induction is thus a way of systematically showing that any indexed relationship is true for all greater than or equal to its predecessor.
rsala004
(1+2+...n)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 1[tex]^{3}[/tex]+2[tex]^{3}[/tex]+...n[tex]^{3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{4}^{2}[/tex] = 1[tex]^{3}[/tex]+2[tex]^{3}[/tex]+...n[tex]^{3}[/tex]

how do you simplify the right side to show that they are equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
A much better idea is to use induction to prove the first equation.

Petek

rsala004 said:
(1+2+...n)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 1[tex]^{3}[/tex]+2[tex]^{3}[/tex]+...n[tex]^{3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{n^{2}(n+1)}{4}^{2}[/tex] = 1[tex]^{3}[/tex]+2[tex]^{3}[/tex]+...n[tex]^{3}[/tex]

What exactly is the question?
If the answer is to make you prove that square of sum equal to sum of cubes , you have to use mathematical induction to prove that sum is of the following formula [tex]\frac {n(n+1)}{2}[/tex] and once again use mathematical induction to prove that the sum of cubes is of the following forumula [tex][\frac {n(n+1)}{2}]^{2}[/tex].Then only you can draw your conclusion.

The question obviously is to prove (1+2+...+n)2 = 13+23+...n3.

The obvious approach, as Petek noted, is to use induction.

rsala004 said:

The standard simplification for the right side is
[tex]\frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4}[/tex]
And, as has been suggested several times now, can be proven by induction on n.

Hm, could someone please briefly explain induction? This thread has sparked my curiosity. I feel like I should know induction to n, but I don't :(

prezjordan said:
Hm, could someone please briefly explain induction? This thread has sparked my curiosity. I feel like I should know induction to n, but I don't :(

Induction: if you can prove
1. f(1) is true
2. If f(n) is true, then f(n+1) is true
for any proposition f, then f(n) is true for all n.

The basic idea behind using induction to prove some indexed relationship fn is
  • Show that the relationship is true for some particular value of n0.
  • Show that if the relationship is true for n0, n0+1,n0+2, ..., N, then it is true for N+1.
By induction, these two items mean that the relationship is true for all integers greater than or equal to n0.

The problem at hand is to show that 1+2+...+n)2 = 13+23+...n3. This equality is trivially true for the case n=1; it reduces to 12=13=1. The trick then is to show that if the relationship is true for some particular n, then it is also true for n+1.

FAQ: Square of the sum = Sum of the cubes

1. What is the meaning of the equation "Square of the sum = Sum of the cubes"?

The equation "Square of the sum = Sum of the cubes" is a mathematical relationship that states that the square of the sum of two or more numbers is equal to the sum of their cubes. In other words, if we add together a set of numbers and then square the result, it will be equal to the sum of each number being cubed individually and then added together.

2. Why is this equation important in mathematics?

This equation is important in mathematics because it demonstrates an interesting relationship between numbers. It also has practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in algebra and can be used to solve more complex equations.

3. Can you provide an example of how to use this equation in a real-world scenario?

Sure, let's say we have a box with 3 different types of balls: red, green, and blue. If we want to find the total number of balls in the box, we can use this equation. We know that the number of red balls is 2, the number of green balls is 3, and the number of blue balls is 4. So, the total number of balls would be (2+3+4)^2 = 81, which is also equal to 2^3+3^3+4^3 = 81.

4. Is there a specific name for this equation?

Yes, this equation is known as the "Sum of Cubes Formula" or the "Sum of Cubes Identity". It is also sometimes referred to as "Faulhaber's Formula" after the mathematician Johann Faulhaber who discovered it in the 17th century.

5. How can this equation be used to solve problems in other areas of science?

As mentioned before, this equation has practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it can be used to calculate the total force or energy exerted by multiple objects with different masses. It can also be used to find the total volume or surface area of a complex shape made up of smaller cubes. In computer science, this equation can be used to optimize algorithms and improve computational efficiency.