Register to reply

Does atmospheric pressure affect the saturated vapor pressure ?

by Jano L.
Tags: affect, atmospheric, pressure, saturated, vapor
Share this thread:
Jano L.
Jul6-13, 11:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,141
When the Clausius-Clapeyron equation for saturation vapor pressure over liquid water is derived via the Carnot cycle, it is usually assumed that there is only gaseous water above the liquid. The other atmospheric gases are neglected.

However, in common settings (lake, glass of water...), the atmospheric gases exert much higher pressure on the liquid surface than the water vapor. Does this large pressure affect the saturation vapor pressure somehow? I guess that the correction is small, perhaps since the additional atmospheric pressure is too low to change the volume of liquid water significantly...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
mfb
Jul6-13, 12:54 PM
Mentor
P: 11,576
For ideal gases, I think there should be no change.
Gases are not ideal, of course - they need some volume (reducing the volume available for water a bit), they have some interaction (I guess this gives a bit more water, but I don't know). In real air, you also have dust particles and so on.
Jano L.
Jul7-13, 03:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,141
Yes, that is similar to what I was thinking.

On the other hand, when applied to solid-liquid equilibrium, the "p" in the C-C equation refers to total liquid pressure. It is a bit strange that for liquid-gas equilibrium, the "p" in the C-C equation refers to partial pressure of the vapor, not to the total liquid pressure.

Register to reply