Pressure & Boiling: Exploring Relationship & My Understanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure and boiling, specifically regarding the phase transitions of water. The individual starts by mentioning their confusion and provides an overview of their understanding, which includes the compression of gaseous water and the expansion of liquid water under different pressures. They then question the accuracy of their understanding and ask for clarifications. The other person suggests reading about phase transitions and provides a link for further information.
jay_me
Hi everyone,
I have been mulling over the relationship between pressure and boiling for some time, and I am still slightly confused. I shall attempt to provide an overview of my current understanding in the hope that I can get some corrections/clarification on my current conceptual understanding.

I shall start with the following: Imagine I have some fixed amount of water, say 1 mole, in the gaseous state. I apply an external pressure to this mole of water, and the gaseous water applies its own pressure on the sorroundings. It would seem to me that, if the external pressure is greater, then the gaseous water will be compressed. Let's say that the external pressure is greater. The gaseous water is compressed and begins to condense into the liquid state. As it is compressed, it exerts increasing pressure on the surroundings. Let's say that I can apply sufficient external pressure to force the water into a liquid state, but that the external pressure I can apply is limited. At some point, the pressure the water applies to the surrounding should equal the external pressure; at this point, the water ceases to be compressed. It seems to me that this would have to be the case: if the external pressure was greater, then the liquid water would continue to compress.

Okay, so the two are equal, the pressure that the water applies to its surroundings (I am going to call this internal pressure) is equal to the pressure from the surroundings (I am going to call this external pressure). Now I am going to heat the liquid water, increasing its thermal energy and increasing its internal pressure. It therefore begins to exceed the external pressure and expands. As its volume increases, its pressure decreases; if it again equals the external pressure, it will cease to expand. If it expands sufficiently, the pressure within the bulk of the liquid should drop enough for the liquid water to enter the gas phase. This is what boiling is.

Does this explanation in anyway make sense?
I have a sneaking suspicion it is wrong, but I am not sure how.
Thanks for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Your narrative is contradictory. You start with a gas, then later you assume it is a liquid. Also, you can't treat the pressure vs temperature nature of a gas to the pressure vs temperature nature of a liquid or a solid.

I think what you are trying to ask is about phase transitions gas/liquid/solid.
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_transition
600px-Phase-diag2.svg.png

This wiki page may help. Read that first, then come back with questions about the parts you don't understand.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_transition

Attachments

• 600px-Phase-diag2.svg.png
    600px-Phase-diag2.svg.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 574
Likes davenn and sophiecentaur
@jay_me
Your question doesn't include how the temperature affects things. From the above phase diagram, you can see that temperature / pressure combinations both affect what phase the water is in. Energy has to flow in or out of the water for a phase change. Read up what @anorlunda has suggested (and as many more sources as you can manage). It will all come clear but don't try to rely too much on making your own conclusions - that's a potentially wasteful way of learning.

Likes davenn and anorlunda

1. What is pressure and how does it affect boiling?

Pressure is the force exerted on an area by the weight of the air or other matter above it. In terms of boiling, pressure affects the boiling point of a liquid. When pressure increases, it takes more energy to boil the liquid, therefore the boiling point increases. On the other hand, when pressure decreases, the boiling point decreases as well.

2. How do you measure pressure?

Pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). A common tool used to measure pressure is a barometer, which measures atmospheric pressure. Other devices such as manometers or pressure gauges can also be used to measure pressure in various settings.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and boiling point?

The relationship between pressure and boiling point is inverse. As pressure increases, the boiling point of a liquid also increases. This is because the higher pressure makes it more difficult for molecules to escape the liquid and turn into vapor, requiring more energy to reach the boiling point. Conversely, as pressure decreases, the boiling point decreases as well.

4. Can pressure affect the taste of food?

Yes, pressure can affect the taste of food. In high altitude places, where the pressure is lower, water boils at a lower temperature, causing food to cook differently. This can result in softer textures and changes in the flavor of food. Additionally, pressure cookers use high pressure to cook food faster, which can also affect the taste and texture of the food.

5. How does understanding the relationship between pressure and boiling point benefit us?

Understanding the relationship between pressure and boiling point can benefit us in various ways. It can help us in cooking, as different foods require different boiling points to cook properly. It can also help in industrial processes where precise temperatures are necessary. Additionally, understanding this relationship can also aid in predicting weather patterns and understanding the behavior of gases and liquids in different environments.