The Greatness of Physics - Express Your Love!

In summary, this conversation revolves around the subject of physics and its relation to mathematics and philosophy. Some argue that physics is based on mathematics, while others believe it is the other way around. It is also discussed whether the meaning of the universe can be understood through physics and the role of philosophers and mathematicians in the development of physics. It is ultimately acknowledged that physics is a fundamental tool for understanding the world around us.
as i said math makes it easier but physics explains what is going on
heat is type of energy which is due to exchange of temperature
electricity is due to the exchange of protons and electrons

Physics news on Phys.org
elabed haidar said:
as i said math makes it easier but physics explains what is going on
heat is type of energy which is due to exchange of temperature
electricity is due to the exchange of protons and electrons

Math doesn't only make things easier. Math is essential in physics. You wouldn't have physics without mathematics!

I like Serena said:
I LOVE PHYSICS!

(Just wanted to chime in too :wink:)

No love for math? :biggrin:

listen i like math but I am just saying why i love physics more, math can be abstruct

In my opinion, Math is more fundamental than physics but for me is much easier to understand in the context of physics. Topology was just incredibly abstract for me but the minute it was brought into the context of differential geometry and GR it became that much clearer even though topology was more fundamental. But I agree 200% that physics would have zero credibility and wealth if it wasn't built upon mathematical frameworks.

micromass said:
No love for math? :biggrin:

I LOVE MATH!

I LOVE COMPUTER SCIENCE!

I LOVE <fill in another science that I will probably love too!>

(We don't have to be monogamous here do we? :wink:)

what i want to say is the first sentence you said Newton but man I am not talking about whose more important each one of them is important accoding to which prespective
for example for business you need math not physics
but if your talking how an AC works well you need physics
all I am saying is that physics is cooler because it is eaiser to understand

elabed haidar said:

and mathematics.

Hmm, so something is cool because it's easy?

Funny thing is, I never said which is "more important" or "more useful to society". I just said "Math is better than physics."

Which by the way, is totally true from my perspective. In my opinion, math is just better.

I hope I don't get infracted for thread derailing! :uhh:

elabed haidar said:
what i want to say is the first sentence you said Newton but man I am not talking about whose more important each one of them is important accoding to which prespective
for example for business you need math not physics
If you're talking about how an AC works, you definitely want whichever is cooler. But what if you are talking about how an oven works?

I knew the mathematicians would run amok here :tongue2:
I LOVE PHYSICS especially now that I am teaching myself. I was seriously considering changing my major to math or chemistry because I am not understanding the teaching style of my prof, and I was feeling inept. Now that I am teaching myself I find that physics gives my inner nerd a sense of fulfillment:approve:

And mathematicians I love math as well...it is my first love <3:biggrin: I have differential equations this term and I feel like I am on some sort of trip by the time I leave the class lol. When I leave my physics class I feel like the devil has sucked my soul dry -_- just thought I should add that.

anyway we will have to agree that both are much better than biology or chemstry

Well I really love chemistry...biology not so much >_> *hides from ryan_m_b*

elabed haidar said:
anyway we will have to agree that both are much better than biology or chemstry

It's odd how mathematicians and physicists always come to that agreement. Mathematicians and engineers do it too.

I wonder why.

I LOVE BIOLOGY!

Uh, chemistry not so much *hides from ... oh I think there's no one around that disagrees*

I like Serena said:
I LOVE BIOLOGY!

Uh, chemistry not so much *hides from ... oh I think there's no one around that disagrees*

I'd watch out for Borek if I were you.

Anyhow, I liked physics more in the early courses but at graduate level when physics in large parts deteriorated into an endless amount of different approximations it just wasn't as fun anymore. Maths on the other hand hasn't lost its charm, proving things in grad courses is no more boring than when you constructed your first proofs, just a bit more complex.
Char. Limit said:
It's odd how mathematicians and physicists always come to that agreement. Mathematicians and engineers do it too.

I wonder why.
It isn't that strange, most of our predictive physics as of today is already axiomatized properly making it more or less into a mathematical theory as well.

I don't understand what ur arguing about. both math and physics are important. u can't say that one is more important than the other. but when it comes to is is cooler it depends on every person. i love physics more than math because it makes me understand the world that's what i like but for others they like the abstract and elegant mathematics it all depends on what what we like. and i also love biology because it also an amazing field where u can understand allot of what is going on in ur body.

Biology rules. Chemists are cool and everything but they don't get invited to parties...

alphali said:
I don't understand what ur arguing about. both math and physics are important. u can't say that one is more important than the other. but when it comes to is is cooler it depends on every person. i love physics more than math because it makes me understand the world that's what i like but for others they like the abstract and elegant mathematics it all depends on what what we like. and i also love biology because it also an amazing field where u can understand allot of what is going on in ur body.

the discussion is about which is cooler which is definitely physics

"I Love Physics"...
Though i was not able to score good marks in my exam today.:cry:

Char. Limit said:
I'd watch out for Borek if I were you.

Just did: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3354169&postcount=11 :biggrin:

Pranav-Arora said:
"I Love Physics"...
Though i was not able to score good marks in my exam today.:cry:

So we'll see some of your physics posts around here? :cool:
I guarantee that your grades will go up with all the experts around here that seem to have nothing better to do than to see to it that everyone starts and keeps loving <fill in any science here>! :smile:

I like Serena said:
I guarantee that your grades will go up with all the experts around here that seem to have nothing better to do than to see to it that everyone starts and keeps loving <fill in any science here>! :smile:

Yes, i too think so. After joining the site, i have found many experts helping the rookies (like me :biggrin:) in understanding the particular topics.

You are being watched.

Borek said:
You are being watched.

Ah, seeing that your reply came after Pranav-Arora's, I'm glad you're watching Pranav.
Pranav will definitely benefit from you watching over him/her. :biggrin:

I like Serena said:
Ah, seeing that your reply came after Pranav-Arora's, I'm glad you're watching Pranav.
Pranav will definitely benefit from you watching over him/her. :biggrin:

I am a male!

I thought physics was great, but I found out that what I really like is mathematics, whether it's applied on physics, economics, finance...

I used to love Physics. I felt we had great potential together.

Then she converted her potential energy to kinetic energy and left.

And now I'm so bitter I love no one.

BobG said:

Well don't just sit there!
Get some energy of your own (chemical, potential, exponential, mitochondrial, <fill in any type of energy>) and follow in her trajectory.
Perhaps you can intercept hers! :smile:

BobG said:

I love physics too, but I doubt she loves me... Huh!

drizzle said:
I love physics too, but I doubt she loves me... Huh!

Her love is relative. :frown:

Maths is part of physics in other words physicists do maths.How many mathematicians do physics?:biggrin:

Anyway,I love brussel sprouts:yuck:

BobG said:

:rofl:

Char. Limit said:
Funny thing is, I never said which is "more important" or "more useful to society". I just said "Math is better than physics."

Which by the way, is totally true from my perspective. In my opinion, math is just better.
Pffft. The analogy that's most apt is: physics is to math as sex is to masturbation.

vela said:
Pffft. The analogy that's most apt is: physics is to math as sex is to masturbation.

:rofl: