Full vs Satisfied: Unsatisfying Meals

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo thinks that the lack of satisfaction comes from a craving for something specific, specifically a steak. She also thinks that this craving can come from a disease called "non-working satisfaction circuits", which she defines as circuits in the brain that don't actually result in satisfaction.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I ate some turkey for dinner and although I knew I wasn't hungry, I didn't feel satisfied, so I made some spaghetti. Now I feel stuffed, but I'm still not "satisfied". I hate that. Why is that?

It's like when you want a thick, juicy steak and all you have is Ivan's leftover frozen broccoli that he hasn't thrown at passing children. It just doesn't hit the spot.

Also, I was talking to a friend last night that was eating a frozen dinner "meatless southwestern chicken & vegetables". "meatless chicken"? How can they get away with calling it chicken?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was about to say that never happens when you eat steak, but then you mentioned it.

haha, meatless chicken? O__O

I know what you mean though :(

lol, the dining hall here had "vegan meatballs" last week, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a vegan ball of meat is composed of.

~Lyuokdea

Lyuokdea said:
lol, the dining hall here had "vegan meatballs" last week, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a vegan ball of meat is composed of.

~Lyuokdea
Vegan means no cheese or eggs, I wonder how they'd hold them together. I'm sorry but "meatless meat" is wrong. Call it what it is - soy balls.

Evo said:
Vegan means no cheese or eggs, I wonder how they'd hold them together. I'm sorry but "meatless meat" is wrong. Call it what it is - soy balls.

Vegan means no animal products whatsoever, meat or otherwise.

Evo said:
I ate some turkey for dinner and although I knew I wasn't hungry, I didn't feel satisfied, so I made some spaghetti. Now I feel stuffed, but I'm still not "satisfied". I hate that. Why is that?
They have found a brain circuit that governs your sense of satisfaction from eating. There is actually a disease where some people's don't work at all, and they will eat 24/7 if someone doesn't stop them. I suppose everyone's gets out of whack now and then.

franznietzsche said:
Vegan means no animal products whatsoever, meat or otherwise.
yep, nothing.

Evo said:

It's like when you want a thick, juicy steak and all you have is Ivan's leftover frozen broccoli that he hasn't thrown at passing children. It just doesn't hit the spot.

Also, I was talking to a friend last night that was eating a frozen dinner "meatless southwestern chicken & vegetables". "meatless chicken"? How can they get away with calling it chicken?
ya I know what you mean, what's with that? A couple nights ago, I wasn't really hungry, but I kept eating peanuts and cookies and stuff, and I was really stuffed, but I still would go to the fridge and look at what else I could eat... then I started thinking how this can relate to bulimia, but I figured that is when I eat way more, and then puke it out. If I ever end up vommiting because of eating too much, then I can say that I've got an eating disorder! Actually I think I wasn't 'satisfied' because food wasn't the problem, I was too stressed about studying for 3 tests and a paper that I kept trying to distract myself from thinking about it, and hence I kept heading to the fridge and stuff.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
They have found a brain circuit that governs your sense of satisfaction from eating. There is actually a disease where some people's don't work at all, and they will eat 24/7 if someone doesn't stop them. I suppose everyone's gets out of whack now and then.
That's involved in general satiety (though not exactly all worked out by any means, but heavily implicated in it), but I think there's more than that to what Evo's talking about. It's not even that anything fatty would do it either, it's more of a craving for something specific. Like, if you're craving a steak, even if you eat some other meat...pork or chicken...and get the protein or iron, it's still not steak and you're still craving it.

I always get a kick out of meatless meat too. :rofl: My friend's cousin is vegan, so she made some meatless meatloaf thing for her for Christmas Eve dinner. We got a laugh out of calling it mealess meatloaf. We kept trying to think of a better name for it though. It was actually fairly tasty, but of course nothing like meatloaf except it was made in a loaf pan. "Grain loaf" just doesn't sound very thrilling, and it's not like it had anyone main ingredient to highlight in the name. Maybe we should have just given it a name like Joanne's Vegan Loaf, but then it sounds like it's made out of vegans! :bugeye:

Evo said:
"meatless chicken"?

Oh yes, that would be the genetically engineered Soy Chicken. They sure are cute as chicks.

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yes, that would be the genetically engineered Soy Chicken. They sure are cute as chicks.
:rofl: Yep, it's just great when you stumble upon a pod just about to hatch and watch them as they first emerge.

Ivan Seeking said:

Soylent Green anyone? Soylent orange milkshake?

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Yep, it's just great when you stumble upon a pod just about to hatch and watch them as they first emerge.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quality, NEVER quantity.

Moonbear said:
That's involved in general satiety (though not exactly all worked out by any means, but heavily implicated in it), but I think there's more than that to what Evo's talking about. It's not even that anything fatty would do it either, it's more of a craving for something specific. Like, if you're craving a steak, even if you eat some other meat...pork or chicken...and get the protein or iron, it's still not steak and you're still craving it.

maybe it has something to do with the subconscious. Like maybe it's due to one of the nervour systems. In particular the one that makes you crave things that your body needs. Sometimes you don't know why, but you really want a steak, maybe that is because your body needs some specific types of chemicals which are mainly found in a steak, so it somehow is communicated to a subconscious nervous system, which then communicates images into your "background" awareness. In a little while, you'll notice these images, and then make it known to yourself that you desire a steak. Suppose you eat something else that doesn't have exactly what your body needs, then you may not feel satisfied because your subconscious is all like "thats great and all, but what we really need is a steak!"

It's like being president and congress is asking for you to do something about global warming, and you circumvent that with something else, thinking it will still appease your desire to please congress, and then congress is all like "thats great that you made all those global warming speeches about how concerned you are with such issues, but, you still haven't done anything about it!"

I read something recently (now there's a stellar reference, huh?) that talked about what zoobyshoe just mentioned. That there's some chemical reaction that's supposed to send a message to your brain that you're "satisfied" and to stop eating. It's part of the argument for eating more slowly to give your brain the opportunity to register being "satisfied" before you've over-consumed calories.

I wish I could remember what article it was, because it was in connection with a new diet pill/aid thingy that they were researching and/or going to introduce that would trigger that chemical reaction in people's brains and get them to eat less.

In any event, it sounded dangerous.

Nonetheless, maybe that's what it is, Evo, that your brain isn't receiving that chemical message.

It was probably referring to leptin. That's one hormone secreted by fat cells that is supposed to signal the brain when you've eaten enough. There's another hormone secreted by fat cells that was discovered even more recently, called adiponectin. The bits of it that have gotten to the media make them sound like the Holy Grail of curing obesity, and they certainly are a significant discovery in understanding it, but as is often true of the media relaying scientific findings, it's greatly oversimplified. There's a lot not known, and they seem to be involved in more than just satiety mechanisms (such as reproduction...one current area of active research is looking at whether these hormones are involved in the trigger of puberty, particularly the earlier onset of puberty in overweight girls).

See? That's why I have friends like you, Moonbear.

Evo said:
Whenever that happens I just make a nice cup of tea and then feel satisfied.

Moonbear said:
It was probably referring to leptin. That's one hormone secreted by fat cells that is supposed to signal the brain when you've eaten enough. There's another hormone secreted by fat cells that was discovered even more recently, called adiponectin. The bits of it that have gotten to the media make them sound like the Holy Grail of curing obesity, and they certainly are a significant discovery in understanding it, but as is often true of the media relaying scientific findings, it's greatly oversimplified. There's a lot not known, and they seem to be involved in more than just satiety mechanisms (such as reproduction...one current area of active research is looking at whether these hormones are involved in the trigger of puberty, particularly the earlier onset of puberty in overweight girls).
I've read the article Geogina was mentioning, that you're discussing here, but this is a bit different, a "singular" occurance where you get the signal you're full, but you feel unsatisfied. More of a "psychological" hunger than physical. Like you wanted that incredible slice of chocolate torte, but all you got was a bowl of lime jello. Your "emotional" hunger hasn't been fed, is a way I guess you could put it.

Aha! So I wasn't the only one who read that article. And! I didn't imagine it. That's always good to know. :biggrin:

Okay, now I see what you're saying, Evo. Like going to a specific restaurant or cafe and anticipating one specific thing that they make and that's all you want and they're sold out of it. No matter what you have instead, you don't feel satisfied. Gottcha.

Evo said:

Have a pickle.
That will make you feel satisfied, and not just full.

GeorginaS said:
Okay, now I see what you're saying, Evo. Like going to a specific restaurant or cafe and anticipating one specific thing that they make and that's all you want and they're sold out of it. No matter what you have instead, you don't feel satisfied. Gottcha.
Exactly!

Mmmmm Arildno, pickles are always good. It's hard to find a good pickle though. I like those barrel pickles that they have at fairs and ball games. I can't find them at the store. :frown:

Evo said:
Exactly!

Mmmmm Arildno, pickles are always good. It's hard to find a good pickle though. I like those barrel pickles that they have at fairs and ball games. I can't find them at the store. :frown:
Yep, a good pickle can usually satisfy all my cravings...at least for a while, until I start craving a pickle again. :biggrin:

I like not-too-highly-seasoned-and-overly-flavourful-pickles. The kind for sandwitches. Good. Anybody eat at "TooJay's?"

Moonbear said:
Yep, a good pickle can usually satisfy all my cravings...at least for a while, until I start craving a pickle again. :biggrin:

This post is a bit wierd...:uhh:

Especially with what arnildo meant by pickle the last time I saw him talk about it.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=92839&highlight=arnildo+pickle
arnildo said:
It had a juicy, salty taste.
Is that inappropriate enough for you?
I like pickles, I'll go and have another one..
Evo said:
Sometimes when you bite into them juice squirts out and gets all over your face. But I like a good pickle, it's hard to find good ones though. Nothing worse than limp pickles.
arnildo said:
your right, limp pickles are the worst.
In my experience, the biggest are the limpest.
El Hombre Invisble said:
you can never get as deep into them as you think you can.
(Hmm... how does lisa like her pickles?) I got this one big pickle in the refrigerator locked up tight waiting for the right time.

Where is El Hombre Invisble anyway? Haven't seen him for a while.

And by what Moonbear said...
McGyver said:
What'll You Have: Sex or Oil?

The phrasing of the above question may seem a bit brash, yet it is these two topics that seem to arise with the most frequency with the current, and preceding administrations: “sex” during the Clinton Administration, and now “oil” with the Bush Administration.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, this either/or choice is really tough. Vegetable oil is still allowed, right? :redface:

Wow I got the dirt on all ya'll.

Last edited:
Back to OP, I say I don't feel like eating anything when my favorite dish isn't available!o:)
Mk said:
arnildo+pickle[/url]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If you hadn't added picklie to search words, you'd never find that thread!

Last edited:
Werd. You are too cool for school! Pickle is not mentioned very much so I put it in!

Evo said:

Probably what you really crave is a cigarette. :devil:

Mk said:
Werd. You are too cool for school! Pickle is not mentioned very much so I put it in!
You've misspelled arildno, dear! That's why I said you'd never find this thread otherwise!:smile:

P.S. I thought lots of threads are hijacked by pickles! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Mk said:
Where is El Hombre Invisble anyway?
Australia.

1. What is the difference between feeling full and feeling satisfied after a meal?

Feeling full refers to the physical sensation of having a stomach that is physically stretched and filled with food. Feeling satisfied, on the other hand, refers to the mental and emotional state of being content and fulfilled with a meal. It is possible to feel full without feeling satisfied, and vice versa.

2. Why do some meals leave us feeling unsatisfied even if we are physically full?

This can be due to a variety of factors, such as the quality and taste of the food, the portion size, and individual preferences and expectations. Some meals may lack certain nutrients or flavors that our bodies and taste buds crave, leading to a feeling of dissatisfaction even if we are physically full.

3. Can we train ourselves to feel satisfied with smaller portions?

Yes, it is possible to train our bodies and minds to feel satisfied with smaller portions. This can be achieved by practicing mindful eating, paying attention to our body's signals of hunger and fullness, and choosing high-quality, nutrient-dense foods that can provide a sense of satisfaction with smaller portions.

4. How does the feeling of satisfaction after a meal affect our overall health?

Feeling satisfied after a meal can have a positive impact on our overall health. It can help prevent overeating and promote a balanced and healthy relationship with food. It can also contribute to better digestion and absorption of nutrients, leading to improved overall health and well-being.

5. Is it possible to feel satisfied with a meal that is not nutritionally balanced or healthy?

While it is possible to feel satisfied with a meal that is not nutritionally balanced or healthy, it may not provide long-term satisfaction and can lead to negative health consequences. Our bodies and minds thrive on a variety of nutrients and flavors, and a consistently unhealthy diet can lead to deficiencies and health issues in the long run.

Back