Explain me concept (Fluid Mechanics)

In summary, atmospheric pressure exerted by the atmosphere on the surface of a fluid, such as water, increases as depth below the surface increases and is independent of the shape of the container. At a depth of 'h' below the surface, the pressure is greater than atmospheric pressure by an amount \rho.g.h. In the case of a U-tube, the pressure at the bottom of the tube is the same regardless of the different levels of the liquid's surface, as the pressure at the same horizontal line is the same regardless of how the tube is bent.
snshusat161
It has been told to me that atmosphere exert a pressure (known as atmospheric pressure) on the surface (I'll take water surface here). And as we go down into water (any fluid, but for instance I'm taking water) the pressure increases. And this increase in the pressure is independent of the shape of the container and only depend upon the depth below the surface of a water open to the atmosphere.

The pressure at depth 'h' below the surface of water is greater than atmospheric pressure by an amount [tex]\rho[/tex].g.h

Now the confusion begins from here.

First Question

If I bend the tube in this way:

http://www.naugraexport.com/glass/tube-u.jpg

will the pressure will be same at every points having the same height or same depth? Explain if I'm going wrong.

Second Question

[URL]http://www.vias.org/physics/img/utube.png[/URL]

In case like shown above where the surface of liquid is not in same level can we still say that the pressure at any point having same elevation from the floor is at same pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For pressure at any depth you add pgh(where h is measured from top) to pressure at the surface of liquid. The U-tube here has different levels because the pressures at the surfaces are different. However if you draw a cylinder at the bottom of U-tube it is at rest so pressure at the bottom of the tube is same. That will hopefully make you think that pressure of at same height from the base of tube have same pressure.

You mean the pressure at the same horizontal line is same, no problem how I bend the tube.

snshusat161 said:
You mean the pressure at the same horizontal line is same, no problem how I bend the tube.

Yes at the every point in that horizontal line the pressure is the same.

1. What is Fluid Mechanics?

Fluid Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion and at rest. It involves understanding the behavior of fluids and how they interact with their surroundings, such as how they flow, how they exert forces, and how they transfer energy.

2. What are the fundamental principles of Fluid Mechanics?

The fundamental principles of Fluid Mechanics are based on the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These laws state that mass, momentum, and energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

3. How is the flow of a fluid described in Fluid Mechanics?

The flow of a fluid is described by two main properties: velocity and pressure. Velocity describes the speed and direction of the fluid particles, while pressure describes the force exerted by the fluid on its surroundings. These properties are affected by factors such as viscosity, density, and turbulence.

4. What are some real-world applications of Fluid Mechanics?

Fluid Mechanics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in the design and operation of vehicles (e.g. airplanes, cars, ships), pumps and turbines, plumbing systems, and weather forecasting. It is also crucial in industries such as oil and gas, aerospace, and chemical engineering.

5. How does Fluid Mechanics relate to other branches of science?

Fluid Mechanics has strong connections to other branches of science, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and solid mechanics. It also has applications in fields like biology, geology, and environmental science. Additionally, the principles of Fluid Mechanics are used in many engineering disciplines, including civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering.