When theres only brute force left

• Thread starter Sakha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: For bigger ones, you might need to look for a used printer. If you're really ambitious, you could try building your own from a small motor and some magnets. In summary, a student tried to make solenoids from magnet wire from a motor and had trouble opening the case. He eventually found a hammer and started hammering the case open, breaking the magnets. He needs to upgrade his toolkit with a set of vise-grips, a Dremel, a small & medium size hacksaw, a propane torch, a variety of cold chisels, a variety of drift punches, and a screwdriver bit adapter.
Sakha
What a stressful evening. I figured I wanted to do a pretty complex valve system just to learn a bit, using solenoids valves and microcontrollers to have everything computarized. To save a few bucks I thought making my own solenoids using magnet wire from my motor junkbox.
Oh boy... over half an hour trying to open that annoying dc motor, I used everything I had in available, from a drill to screwdrivers. I got really mad I just couldn't open it, grabbed a hammer and start hammering it, after a few hits in the right spot the cap flew away, and it exposed the coiled wire and the magnets, that were shattered after all those hits. It's late now and cutting the motor case to remove the wire might take a while, so that's for tomorrow.
So what you guys do when its needed to scavenge parts from old stuff, sometimes tools are useless.

Also if someone have ideas for a simple solenoid I'd appreciate it. I thought of using the magnet wire in a straw or maybe a pen case, with a nail inside.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sakha said:
So what you guys do when its needed to scavenge parts from old stuff, sometimes tools are useless.

There's almost always some tool that will do it, or at least a combination of two or more.
I've used side-cutters, torches, a Dremel tool with cut-off wheels, angle grinders, hacksaws... A couple of ViseGrips can be remarkably effective. I always try for minimal damage, in case I'll want the rest of the assembly for something else later, but sometimes that just isn't practical and you have to go for it hard. If the parts aren't too delicate, a hammer and cold chisel can come in handy. (I never entirely rule out the use of high-explosives, but that's just a personal kink. :uhh:)

Pretty much the same kit as Danger uses. Sometimes, I'll use a carbide drill bit in a Dremel to make holes in a part that I want to fail in a particular way when I pry on it with vise-grips. A Blazer butane micro-torch can come in handy for heating fasteners that are corroded or simply stuck. A decent set of chisels and punches can often come in handy, too.

This looks like I will need to upgrade my poor man's toolbox.

As a starting kit which should handle most situations, I suggest:

6", 8" & 10" ViseGrips
6" needle-nose ViseGrips
all sizes of pliers, including needle-nose, end nippers, side-cutters and lineman's types
small & medium slip-joint (plumber's) pliers
Dremel tool kit (I prefer the 110VAC as opposed to cordless), with a flex-cable if affordable
magnetic screwdriver with flat, Robertson and Phillips bits in most sizes (:confused: — I guess only Canuks need Robertsons)
complete set of jeweler's screwdrivers
a couple of big screwdrivers, which can double as pry-bars
3/8" Imperial & metric socket set (compromise; 1/4" & 1/2" is preferable)
propane torch
small & medium claw hammers, and one large ball-pein type
variety of cold chisels
variety of drift punches, and one centre punch (for starting drill holes)
good 3/8" or 1/2" cordless drill with all sizes of carbide bits and a screwdriver bit adapter
small & medium size hacksaws

Hmm... I think that should get you through most disassembly projects. If you want to make something, you need a lot more stuff.
Don't be afraid to use your imagination. I once had to hose-clamp a screwdriver to one end of a Volkswagon torsion bar and turn the other end with a ViseGrip.

Last edited:
Thats a nice list, thanks, but I guess that goes to the wish/need list. I'm in high school still and my spare pennies usually go for the project itself.

The most useful tools for me these years have been some spare manicure set from my mother. It's amazing how much you can do with those, specially with small sized projects.

The motor is completely disassembled and I made my first solenoid, but it hardly has the strength to move the nail.

Sorry, I misjudged your budgetary constraints.
At the very least, go for the multi-bit screwdriver and pliers. Canadian Tire routinely has sets of several dozen screwdriver or drill bits for less than $20, and 3 or 4 piece pliers sets for less than $10. The pliers aren't of great quality, but they're better than nothing. If you live in North America, there is probably some store that offers similar specials. I don't know how things work overseas.
As for solenoids... I quit trying to make them after the 2nd or 3rd time that I burned myself. They aren't too hard to find, pre-made, if you know where to look. That depends, of course, upon what size you need. For small ones, scrounge around a computer scrap-heap. A mechanical (pin-type) dot matrix printer uses a cluster of solenoids, with the large ends of the pins as the plungers, for the print-head. Most people can't wait to give them away these days. As a bonus, you can also score some decent little motors and gears from the same device.
Somewhat larger ones can be found in model train track-switching mechanisms (double-acting, yet :tongue2:). New ones are rather expensive, but you might find a used one here and there for a reasonable price.
For more power, hit an automotive boneyard. The fast-idle regulator from a carburetor is short-throw, but can be leveraged upward. And the Bendix from a starter has one seriously nasty kick.

Danger said:
... If you live in North America, there is probably some store that offers similar specials. I don't know how things work overseas...
... A mechanical (pin-type) dot matrix printer uses a cluster of solenoids, with the large ends of the pins as the plungers, for the print-head. Most people can't wait to give them away these days...
I live in the concrete jungles of central America, Panama. We got plenty good hardware stores, it's time for me to do some shopping :).

I have a junk Inkjet printer somewhere. I know those have stepper motor, which are hard to use without microcontrollers so I haven't taken the time to torture the printer. Does they have solenoids inside? If it does I will cannibalize it ASAP.

Sakha said:
Does they have solenoids inside? If it does I will cannibalize it ASAP.

Unfortunately, inkjet printers do not. It's the old impact (pin) type that did.

turbo-1 said:
Sometimes, I'll use a carbide drill bit in a Dremel

Just a cautionary note here which I meant to bring up when I first read your post... and then it got lost somewhere in a dark corner of my brain. What you suggest is okay for old farts like us who take all measures to ensure safety, but I absolutely do not recommend it for newcomers. A regular drill bit is simply not designed to withstand the 30,000 rpm's that a Dremel pumps out, and can quite violently disassemble itself under load at that speed. Even a tiny piece of steel, when traveling at a few hundred Km/hr, is potentially lethal. Keeping the throttle turned down is okay, but accidents can happen given the way the speed control is mounted on the unit. Mine got away from me a couple of times, and it was frightening. It's best to shell out the extra bucks for a Dremel bit that's made for that purpose, or to use a regular electric drill with your regular bits.
By the bye, Sakha, on the subject of safety... your first purchase should be a pair of protective goggles. Just about everything that we've discussed here involves an eye hazard.

Last edited:
Danger said:
By the bye, Sakha, on the subject of safety... your first purchase should be a pair of protective goggles. Just about everything that we've discussed here involves an eye hazard.

I don't know how protective it can get, but I use some squash goggles than came as a gift when I bought a racket. I also have some lab goggles that my brother used when he was in med school. I believe those offer more protection, but they are really uncomfortable.

Sakha said:
I don't know how protective it can get, but I use some squash goggles than came as a gift when I bought a racket. I also have some lab goggles that my brother used when he was in med school. I believe those offer more protection, but they are really uncomfortable.

Either one of those should be adequate for basic work.

Danger said:
Just a cautionary note here which I meant to bring up when I first read your post... and then it got lost somewhere in a dark corner of my brain. What you suggest is okay for old farts like us who take all measures to ensure safety, but I absolutely do not recommend it for newcomers.
I should have mentioned that my "dremel" is a variable-speed type with a flexible shaft. I can be more precise with that than with a drill or a hand-help dremel.

turbo-1 said:
I should have mentioned that my "dremel" is a variable-speed type with a flexible shaft. I can be more precise with that than with a drill or a hand-help dremel.

Ah, that does make a difference alright.

Danger said:
Ah, that does make a difference alright.
I've got one of the two-speed hand dremels, too, but you'd never catch me chucking up a conventional carbide bit in that. Too dicey.

What is brute force?

Brute force is a method of problem solving that involves trying every possible solution until the correct one is found.

When is brute force used?

Brute force is often used when other methods are not feasible or efficient enough to solve a problem. It is commonly used in computer science and cryptography.

What are the limitations of brute force?

Brute force can be time-consuming and resource-intensive, especially for complex problems. It may also not be feasible to try every possible solution, depending on the size of the problem.

How does brute force compare to other problem-solving methods?

Brute force is generally considered a last resort method, as it is not always the most efficient or elegant solution. Other methods, such as algorithms and heuristics, may be better suited for certain problems.

Can brute force be used for any problem?

In theory, brute force can be used for any problem. However, it may not always be the most effective approach and may not be feasible for larger or more complex problems.