Block on Spring without Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a stretched spring and an attached object. Part a) requires calculating the speed of the object when the spring returns to its unstretched length, which is found to be 1.08 m/s. Part b) involves finding the speed of the object when the spring has returned halfway, but there is trouble with the calculation. After realizing an error, the correct answer is determined to be 0.935 m/s.
Mivz18
I'm having a bit of trouble with the second part of this problem:

A spring is stretched a distance of Dx = 40 cm beyond its relaxed length. Attached to the end of the spring is an block of mass m = 12 kg, which rests on a horizontal frictionless surface. A force of magnitude 35 N is required to hold the block at this position. The force is then removed.

a) When the spring again returns to its unstretched length, what is the speed of the attached object?

This I calculated to be 1.08 m/s by KEf - KEi = Wspring.

b) When the spring has returned only halfway (20 cm), what is the speed of the attached object?

This is where my trouble appears. I simply change my number 0.4 m to 0.2 m and get 0.7638 m/s . However, the online program I'm using says that is incorrect. Isn't that what you should do is change that number? Here is my work so far for this:

KEf - KEi = Wspring
1/2 * m*v^2 - 1/2 * m*v^2 = 1/2 * k*x^2
(1/2)(12 kg)(Vfinal ^2) - 0 = (1/2)k(0.20 m)^2
k = (spring force)/x
Since the spring force is equal and opposite to the force applied, it is 35 N.
Therefore, k = 35/0.20 , which therefore = 175 .
(1/2)(12 kg)(Vfinal ^2) = (1/2)(175)(0.20 m)^2
Then I solve for Vfinal and get my answer. However, it is wrong. Am I doing something wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, lol, I once again found my error. I realized that part A can be used in the determination of part B. Therefore, the Initial kinetic energy would contain the velocity I'm looking for while the Final Kinetic energy would contain the final velocity of 1.08. Therefore, the k constant would remain 87.5 and x would change to 0.20 m like I had originally thought. Thus, you would obtain 0.935 m/s .

It looks like you are on the right track and your calculations are correct. However, there may be a mistake in the online program or in the way the question is being interpreted. It is possible that the question is asking for the speed of the object when the spring has returned to its unstretched length, rather than halfway. In that case, the answer would be the same as part a) and your calculation of 1.08 m/s would be correct. It's always a good idea to double check the wording of the question and make sure you are interpreting it correctly. If you are still unsure, you can always try reaching out to your teacher or instructor for clarification.

What is a block on a spring without friction?

A block on a spring without friction is a simple system in which a mass (the block) is attached to a spring and can move along a surface without any resistance. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to study the behavior of springs and forces.

What is the equation for the motion of a block on a spring without friction?

The equation for the motion of a block on a spring without friction is F = -kx, where F is the force applied by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. This equation is known as Hooke's Law.

What factors affect the motion of a block on a spring without friction?

The motion of a block on a spring without friction is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the spring constant, the amplitude of the oscillations, and the initial velocity of the block. These variables can be manipulated to study the behavior of the system.

What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a block on a spring without friction?

The period (T) and frequency (f) of a block on a spring without friction are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The relationship between T and f is given by the equation T = 1/f.

How does the amplitude affect the motion of a block on a spring without friction?

The amplitude of oscillations in a block on a spring without friction directly affects the maximum displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. As the amplitude increases, the maximum displacement and the potential energy of the system also increase. However, the period and frequency of the system remain constant regardless of the amplitude.