Capacitor (the dissipation of electrical energy)

In summary, an L-R-C series circuit with an inductance of 0.116, a resistance of 235, and a capacitance of 7.25 carries an rms current of 0.453 with a frequency of 393. The phase angle is 0.776 radians, power factor is 0.714, impedance is 329 ohms, rms voltage is 149V, and average power is 48.2W. However, the average rate at which electrical energy is dissipated in the capacitor and inductor is 0, as reactance does not dissipate energy.
jazzylady03
An L-R-C series circuit with an inductance of 0.116 , a resistance of 235 , and a capacitance of 7.25 carries an rms current of 0.453 with a frequency of 393 .

The phase angle is .776radians.
The power factor is .714
The impedance is 329ohms
The rms voltage is 149V
The average power is 48.2
The average rate at which electrical energy is converted to thermal energy in the resistor is 48.2W.

I need to figure out what the average rate at which electrical energy is dissipated (converted to other forms) in the capacitor?

and What is the average rate at which electrical energy is dissipated (converted to other forms) in the inductor?

Any help is GREAT!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 0 for both parts

This is an example of a common "trick" question that I've encountered on some electronics exams (like the one I took back in 1970 for my FCC license)...they give you voltages, frequency, component values, etc, then ask for the power dissipated in a capacitor (or inductor). The answer is simple: ZERO. Reactance stores energy, but does not dissipate it.

FAQ: Capacitor (the dissipation of electrical energy)

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the two plates, which stores the electrical energy.

3. What is dissipation of energy in a capacitor?

Dissipation of energy in a capacitor refers to the process of releasing the stored electrical energy. This can happen when the capacitor is connected to a circuit, allowing the energy to flow from one plate to the other.

4. What factors affect the dissipation of energy in a capacitor?

The dissipation of energy in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and resistance of the circuit. Higher capacitance and voltage will result in more energy being stored, while higher resistance will slow down the discharge of the capacitor.

5. How is the dissipation of energy in a capacitor measured?

The dissipation of energy in a capacitor is typically measured using the time constant, which is the product of the capacitance and resistance of the circuit. It can also be measured using an oscilloscope to observe the change in voltage over time as the capacitor discharges.

Back