Total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by resistors

In summary, if a second resistor is added in series with the original resistor, the current will be less.
24karatbear

Homework Statement

A resistor with R1 = 25.0Ω is connected to a battery that has negligible internal resistance and electrical energy is dissipated by R1 at a rate of 36.0W. If a second resistor R2 = 15.0Ω is connected in series with R1, what is the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by the two resistors?

Homework Equations

Equivalent resistance (series) = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn
Power output = VabI = I2R = (V2)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two resistors are in series, I used the above equation to find Req = 40.0Ω. However, my goal is to find the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by both resistors (i.e., the power output), so I need to use one of the expressions for power to obtain my solution.

I chose to use I2R to find the power output, so I solved for current to get 1.2A. Since resistors in series have the same current going through them, Req should also have the same current going through it (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, I reused this expression to find the total power output of the combined resistors Req to obtain 57.6W.

The problem is that my textbook's solution manual gets a different answer, and they use a different expression to solve for power output (they use (V2)/R). I thought that we can just choose any expression. Can anyone explain why my answer is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
24karatbear said:

Homework Statement

A resistor with R1 = 25.0Ω is connected to a battery that has negligible internal resistance and electrical energy is dissipated by R1 at a rate of 36.0W. If a second resistor R2 = 15.0Ω is connected in series with R1, what is the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by the two resistors?

Homework Equations

Equivalent resistance (series) = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn
Power output = VabI = I2R = (V2)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two resistors are in series, I used the above equation to find Req = 40.0Ω. However, my goal is to find the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by both resistors (i.e., the power output), so I need to use one of the expressions for power to obtain my solution.

I chose to use I2R to find the power output, so I solved for current to get 1.2A.
How did you get that current?

I used:

I2R = power

and solved for I using 36.0W for power and 25.0Ω for R.

24karatbear said:
I used:

I2R = power

and solved for I using 36.0W for power and 25.0Ω for R.
Using the same battery, the voltage across the two resistors in series stays the same, but the current is less.

Hi ehild,

Thank you for your response! I am a bit confused now, though. Here is what my textbook says (word for word) about resistors in series:

If resistors are in series, the current I must be the same in all of them. (As we discussed in the previous chapter, current is not "used up" as it passes through a circuit.) The potential differences across each resistor need not be the same (except in the special case where all resistances are equal).

Am I perhaps missing something?

Yes, the current through series resistors is the same in all of them. But it will be a different current if the total resistance of the series string is different, assuming the same total potential difference is across the string.

In this case you've changed the total resistance by adding another resistor to the string, but the total potential difference remains the same because the battery is the same as before.

gneill said:
Yes, the current through series resistors is the same in all of them. But it will be a different current if the total resistance of the series string is different, assuming the same total potential difference is across the string.

In this case you've changed the total resistance by adding another resistor to the string, but the total potential difference remains the same because the battery is the same as before.

Ahhhh, I get it now! It seems that I was overlooking the fact that a second resistor was added to the circuit and not originally a part of it. Thank you so much for explaining that - it makes a whole lot of sense now. I appreciate your help ehild and gneill!

What is the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by resistors?

The total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by resistors is known as power. It is measured in watts (W) and is the product of the voltage across a resistor and the current flowing through it.

How do you calculate the total power dissipated by resistors in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total power dissipated by resistors is equal to the sum of the power dissipated by each individual resistor. This can be calculated by using the formula P = I^2*R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance.

What is the relationship between power and resistance in a circuit?

Power and resistance have an inverse relationship in a circuit. This means that as resistance increases, power decreases, and vice versa. This is because as more resistance is added to a circuit, it becomes more difficult for current to flow, resulting in less power being dissipated.

How does the total power dissipated by resistors change in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total power dissipated by resistors is equal to the sum of the power dissipated by each individual resistor, just like in a series circuit. However, in a parallel circuit, the total resistance decreases as more resistors are added, resulting in an increase in total power dissipation.

What factors affect the total power dissipated by resistors?

The total power dissipated by resistors is affected by the voltage and current in the circuit, as well as the resistance of the individual resistors. Additionally, the type of material the resistors are made of, the temperature of the resistors, and the frequency of the current can also impact the total power dissipation.