Proportionality and Translations in Graphs

In summary, to determine if two physical quantities are directly proportional, one performs measurements and plots the data points on a Cartesian coordinate system. If the points form a straight line passing through the origin, then the quantities are probably proportional. However, if the graph is translated, the line equation changes and the quantities may no longer be proportional. Instead, we can say that changes in y are proportional to changes in x, but we cannot say that y is proportional to x.
italia458
Quote from Wikipedia:

To determine experimentally whether two physical quantities are directly proportional, one performs several measurements and plots the resulting data points in a Cartesian coordinate system. If the points lie on or close to a straight line that passes through the origin (0, 0), then the two variables are probably proportional, with the proportionality constant given by the line's slope.

I've been told by people that a graph with a straight line on it can be proportional but only if it passes through the origin. I fail to see why that's true. If a translation was applied and it was moved 1 unit to the right then, all of a sudden, x is not proportional to y anymore? That doesn't make sense to me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In math, two quantities are proportional, by definition, if their ratio is constant.
i.e. if y is proportional to x, then y/x=k - a constant.
The graph would be y=kx - which is a special case of a straight line.

If you translated the graph, changing the reference point for measuring x for instance, then the equation of the line is:

y=k(x+a) and the graph of x vs y no longer passes through the origin.
The quantities x and y are no longer proportional (y/x=k+ka/x - not a constant) because it is a different x - instead it is x+a that is proportional to y ... which is fair, because x+a was the original quantity.

However, we can still say that

y1 = k(x1+a)
y2 = k(x2+a)

y2-y1 = k(x2-x1)

so changes in y are proportional to changes in x.

If two quantities x and y are related by some line y=mx+c, then the relationship is just called "linear".

However, we can still say that

y1 = k(x1+a)
y2 = k(x2+a)

y2-y1 = k(x2-x1)

so changes in y are proportional to changes in x.

So if the graph is translated left or right, I can still say that "changes in y are proportional to changes in x" but I can't say "y is proportional to x" - is that correct?

What is proportionality?

Proportionality is a mathematical relationship between two quantities where they change in a consistent and predictable manner. This means that as one quantity increases or decreases, the other quantity changes in a proportional manner.

How is proportionality represented in a graph?

In a graph, proportionality is represented by a straight line passing through the origin (0,0). This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases in a constant and proportional manner.

What is the equation for proportionality?

The equation for proportionality is y = kx, where y and x represent the two quantities and k represents the constant of proportionality. This equation shows that the two quantities are directly proportional to each other.

What is the difference between direct and inverse proportionality?

In direct proportionality, as one quantity increases, the other quantity also increases. Inverse proportionality, on the other hand, occurs when one quantity increases while the other quantity decreases, or vice versa.

How can you determine if a graph represents proportionality?

A graph represents proportionality if it is a straight line passing through the origin (0,0), or if the ratio between the two quantities remains constant throughout the graph. This can also be determined by calculating the slope of the line, which should equal the constant of proportionality (k).