Another Simple Rope Tensions Question

• Thread starter amnestic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary: Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, there are two tensions acting on the wire: one on each side of the bird's landing point. The weight of the bird is balanced by the vertical components of these tensions, which is why we use the cosine function in the equation "mg = 2*T*cosθ". Your approach using trigonometric functions and finding the angle is correct, but you need to account for both tensions in your calculation.
amnestic

Homework Statement

A 4.0kg magpie (bird) flies towards a very tight plastic wire on a clothes line. The wire is perfectly horizontal and is stretched between poles 4.0m apart. The magpie lands on the centre of the wire, depressing it by a vertical distance of 4.0cm. What is the magnitude of the tension in the wire?

Homework Equations

W=mg
trignometric functions
W(x) = Wsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is off a textbook question, and their answer was 1000N. I got 0.8N =='

I had the following steps:

- tan(θ) = 4/200
- θ = 1.15 degrees.
- W(x) = mgsin(1.15)
(where W(x) was the required component of weight, m = 4.0kg and g = 9.8ms^-2)
- W(x) = 4.0kg x 9.8 x sin(1.15) = 0.8N

What am i doing wrong? :(
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi amnestic, welcome to PF.
You have to resolve the tensions into two components.
And mg = 2*T*cosθ, where θ = (90 - 1.15) degrees.

Thanks for the reply rl.blat,
two tensions?
I had a triangle, with the opposite as 2m and adjacent as 0.04m

Then I found the angle, which allowed me to find the hypothenuse (which is the "line" of force that I'm after)

I'm not sure what you mean by "mg = 2*T*cosθ" isn't mg = 4.0 x 9.8?

PS: I also changed the angel within the triangle for the working out of this post, as compared to my first post. so its a bit different now.

After depression of the wire due to landing of the bird at the mid point, two segments of the wire are stretched producing tension in the segments. In the equilibrium condition, the weight of bird is balanced by the vertical components of the tensions.
So "mg = 2*T*cosθ".

1. What is rope tension?

Rope tension is the force applied to a rope in order to keep it tight and prevent slack or movement.

2. How is rope tension calculated?

Rope tension can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the object being lifted by the gravitational acceleration and the length of the rope.

3. What factors can affect rope tension?

The weight of the object, the angle of the rope, and the type and condition of the rope can all affect rope tension.

4. How can rope tension be adjusted?

Rope tension can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the weight of the object, changing the angle of the rope, or using a different type or length of rope.

5. Why is rope tension important?

Rope tension is important because it ensures the stability and safety of objects being lifted or supported by the rope. It also helps distribute weight evenly and prevent damage to the rope.