How do u reproduce a shockwave

• Thread starter Fabchester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shockwave
In summary, reproducing and maintaining a shockwave without the use of explosives can be achieved by having an unlimited supply of electricity and controlling the distance the wave travels. A recent unit in Europe was used to test a new type of re-entry vehicle using an air cannon with a booster and secondary shock setup. The electricity can also be used to compress gas for shock wave analysis.
Fabchester
How do u reproduce an maintain a shockwave without the use of explosives.
Having an unlimited supply of electricity ie. straight from a reactor.
Controlling the distance the wave travels ie. 100m

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, man... I just saw an awesome unit on Daily Planet a few days ago. It's somewhere in Europe (maybe Germany) and is being used to test a new type of re-entry vehicle that is composed of sharp edges and angles rather than the usual rounded type. It irritates me immensely that I can't remember the details. Basically, it consists of an air cannon a couple of hundred metres long, built in two stages. The entire first section recoils something like 20 cm when it fires. The first stage is a "booster" that skips a gap and sets up a secondary shock in the second stage. It hits the model at something over Mach 5, but lasts only a couple of milliseconds.
I'll see if I can find more information about it.

Danger said:
I'll see if I can find more information about it.

Please! I'm most interested.

In the meantime, we used to use the electricity to compress gas in large tanks over time, then release the gas over a short duration through a Mach 2+ tube for shock wave analysis.

Aww, crap! I just spent a couple of hours trying to find it, without success. Will try again in the next few days.

I can provide a response to the question of how to reproduce and maintain a shockwave without the use of explosives. While explosions are a common method of creating shockwaves, there are other ways to generate and control them.

One method is through the use of electromagnetic pulses (EMP), which can be created through the discharge of a large amount of electricity. In this scenario, the unlimited supply of electricity from a reactor would be helpful in creating a continuous and powerful EMP. By controlling the frequency and intensity of the pulses, the shockwave can be maintained and its distance can be controlled to reach a specific distance of 100m.

Another way to reproduce a shockwave without explosives is through the use of high-powered lasers. By focusing a laser beam onto a specific point, the intense energy can create a shockwave. This method can also be controlled to maintain the shockwave and adjust its distance.

Additionally, shockwaves can also be produced through the rapid expansion of gas, such as with a compressed air cannon or a pneumatic hammer. By controlling the amount of gas released and the speed of expansion, the shockwave can be reproduced and maintained.

In all of these methods, it is important to carefully control and calibrate the energy source to ensure the shockwave is produced and maintained at the desired level. With an unlimited supply of electricity and precise control over the distance the wave travels, it is possible to reproduce and maintain a shockwave without the use of explosives.

1. How is a shockwave produced?

A shockwave is produced when a sudden release of energy creates a disturbance in the surrounding medium, causing a rapid increase in pressure and temperature.

2. What causes a shockwave to travel?

Shockwaves travel due to the difference in pressure between the front and back of the wave. This difference causes the wave to continue moving until it dissipates.

3. Can shockwaves be reproduced in a laboratory setting?

Yes, shockwaves can be reproduced in a laboratory using various methods such as explosions, high-pressure gas discharge, or high-velocity projectiles.

4. How do scientists measure the strength of a shockwave?

The strength of a shockwave is typically measured by its peak overpressure, which is the amount of pressure increase above the ambient pressure.

5. What are some practical applications of shockwaves?

Shockwaves have several practical applications, including shockwave lithotripsy (breaking up kidney stones), shockwave therapy for musculoskeletal injuries, and shockwave propulsion for space travel.