=Homework Problem: Longest Vertical Soda Straw

In summary, the person is seeking guidance on how to approach a homework problem about the longest vertical soda straw one could possibly drink from. They are unsure of where to start and are looking for a small push in the right direction. The question may involve cohesive and adhesive forces and the force exerted by sipping through a straw. The other person mentions thinking about atmospheric pressure when sucking through a straw and reminds the person not to repeat their questions as they have already received a good answer earlier.
Gott_ist_tot
I received a homework problem that I need guidance on where to start.

What is the longest vertical soda straw you could possibly drink from?

I do not know where to start on this problem. A small push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please specify your doubt a bit more. I didn't understand what the question means?

Probably something to do with cohesive and adhesive forces? or over coming gravity by the force exerted by the sipping the straw

Think about what's actually happening when you suck.

You're not so much pulling liquid up the tube as much as allowing atmospheric pressure to push it up.

Oh, and please don't repeat your questions. I've just seen that you had a good answer given just a few hours ago, the first time you asked.

1. How long is the longest vertical soda straw?

The longest vertical soda straw on record is 10 feet and 10 inches, created by Joe Donohue in 2012.

2. What is the purpose of creating a long vertical soda straw?

The purpose of creating a long vertical soda straw is often for fun or as a challenge. It can also be used for science experiments or demonstrations.

3. What materials are used to create the longest vertical soda straw?

The longest vertical soda straw is typically made from plastic, specifically polyethylene, which is sturdy and lightweight.

4. Can anyone create a long vertical soda straw?

Yes, anyone can create a long vertical soda straw with the right materials and technique. However, it may take practice and patience to achieve the desired length.

5. Are there any benefits to creating a long vertical soda straw?

Aside from the fun and challenge, creating a long vertical soda straw can also teach about air pressure, fluid dynamics, and the properties of different materials.