A question about solving the energy eigenvalue of a given Hamiltonian operator

In summary, the problem at hand is the energy eigenvalue problem for a particle moving in one dimension with a harmonic force and a homogeneous electrostatic field. The Hamiltonian operator for this system is given by H= p2/2m +mw2/2*x2 - qεx. The solution involves completing the square of the coordinate x-dependent part to recognize the harmonic oscillator with some shifted origin and a constant term in the Hamiltonian. This approach can be used to handle similar questions.
ee_mike
The problem is

A particle of mass m and electric charges q can move only in one dimension and is subject to a harmonic force and a homogeneous electrostatic field. The Hamiltonian operator for the system is
H= p2/2m +mw2/2*x2 - qεx

a. solve the energy eigenvalue problem
b. if the system is initially in the ground state of the unperturbed harmonic oscillator, ket= |0>, what is the probability of finding it in the ground state of the full Hamiltonian?

Could anybody offer some methods to handle this question? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you have solved the harmonic oscillator.

This question is pretty much the same. The trick is to complete the square of the coordinate x-dependent part. That is, turn this:

[tex]ax^2 + bx [/tex]

into this:

[tex]a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 - (\frac{b}{2a})^2[/tex]

From there you should recognise the harmonic oscillator, only this time with some shifted origin plus a constant term in you Hamiltonian (which you shouldn't throw away).

xepma said:
I take it you have solved the harmonic oscillator.

This question is pretty much the same. The trick is to complete the square of the coordinate x-dependent part. That is, turn this:

[tex]ax^2 + bx [/tex]

into this:

[tex]a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 - (\frac{b}{2a})^2[/tex]

From there you should recognise the harmonic oscillator, only this time with some shifted origin plus a constant term in you Hamiltonian (which you shouldn't throw away).

Could you explain more detailedly? Because I wonder what is the eigenvalue of [tex]a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 - (\frac{b}{2a})^2[/tex]

Thank you very much, you really helped me.

So you start out with the basic eigenvalue equation:

[tex]H\psi = E \psi[/tex]

where, for simplicity, we have

[tex] H = T + ax^2 + bx [/tex]

where T is short for the kinetic energy.
Filling this in gives you the following eigenvalue equation:

[tex](T + ax^2 + bx )\psi = E \psi[/tex]

Now you perform the trick I explained earlier, which give you:

[tex]\left(T + a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2-(\frac{b}{2a})^2\right)\psi = E \psi[/tex]
or:
[tex]\left(T + a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2\right)\psi = (E+(\frac{b}{2a})^2) \psi[/tex]

Compare this with the standard form of a harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\left(T + \frac{m\omega}{2} y^2\right)\psi' = \epsilon \psi'[/tex]

As you can see, you now have a shifted origin of the harmonic oscillator, and a shifted energy.

I already brought you more than halfway there, so good luck with the rest of the steps ;)

xepma said:
So you start out with the basic eigenvalue equation:

[tex]H\psi = E \psi[/tex]

where, for simplicity, we have

[tex] H = T + ax^2 + bx [/tex]

where T is short for the kinetic energy.
Filling this in gives you the following eigenvalue equation:

[tex](T + ax^2 + bx )\psi = E \psi[/tex]

Now you perform the trick I explained earlier, which give you:

[tex]\left(T + a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2-(\frac{b}{2a})^2\right)\psi = E \psi[/tex]
or:
[tex]\left(T + a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2\right)\psi = (E+(\frac{b}{2a})^2) \psi[/tex]

Compare this with the standard form of a harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\left(T + \frac{m\omega}{2} y^2\right)\psi' = \epsilon \psi'[/tex]

As you can see, you now have a shifted origin of the harmonic oscillator, and a shifted energy.

I already brought you more than halfway there, so good luck with the rest of the steps ;)

You are so powerful. I have been doing on this problem since this morning. Thank you very much.

1. How do you determine the energy eigenvalues of a given Hamiltonian operator?

To determine the energy eigenvalues of a given Hamiltonian operator, you can use the Schrödinger equation and solve for the values that satisfy the equation. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator and using them to calculate the energy eigenvalues.

2. What is the significance of the energy eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

The energy eigenvalues represent the allowed energy levels of a quantum system. They play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of the system, such as the possible energy states and the probability of the system transitioning between different states.

3. Can the energy eigenvalues be calculated for any given Hamiltonian operator?

Yes, the energy eigenvalues can be calculated for any given Hamiltonian operator, as long as the operator is Hermitian and the system is stationary, meaning the potential and the Hamiltonian do not change with time.

4. How do the energy eigenvalues relate to the energy spectrum of a system?

The energy eigenvalues make up the discrete energy spectrum of a system. This means that the system can only have energy values that correspond to the calculated energy eigenvalues. The spacing between these energy levels also provides information about the properties of the system.

5. Are there any practical applications of solving for energy eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

Yes, solving for energy eigenvalues is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which has many practical applications in fields such as materials science, electronics, and chemistry. For example, understanding the energy levels of atoms and molecules allows for the development of new materials and technologies.