Proof Complex Numbers: How to Prove |z1|^2/|z2|^2 = |z1/z2|^2

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation |z1|^2/|z2|^2 = |z1/z2|^2 with complex numbers. The participants suggest using division and polar representation to get the desired result. One participant also provides a step-by-step approach using the rationalization of the numerator and denominator.
Suni
hello

could someone please help me out with proving the following:
|z1|^2/|z2|^2 = |z1/z2|^2

...with complex numbers

sorry I am not familiar with the coding here yet so i can't write that properly

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How is division defined on the complex numbers?
Use that to get the result, alternatively use polar representation of the numbers.

simply define z1 = a + jb and z2 = l + jm;
LHS - take modulus of each and keep it aside...i.e., a^2 + b^2 is modulus;
RHS - Rationalise the den. & num., i.e, z1/z2 = (a + jb)*(l - jm)/(l2 + m2);
seperate out the real & imaginary parts...u'll find LHS = RHS...

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you find the absolute value of a complex number?

The absolute value of a complex number z = a + bi is given by |z| = √(a^2 + b^2).

3. What is the proof for the equation |z1|^2/|z2|^2 = |z1/z2|^2?

The proof for this equation involves using the definition of absolute value for complex numbers and basic algebraic manipulations. It can be shown that |z1|^2/|z2|^2 = |z1/z2|^2 by substituting the definition of absolute value and simplifying the resulting expression.

4. What is the significance of this equation in complex analysis?

This equation is significant in complex analysis because it shows that the absolute value of a complex number is multiplicative, meaning that the absolute value of the product of two complex numbers is equal to the product of their absolute values. This property is useful in many applications, such as finding roots of complex numbers.

5. Can this equation be extended to more than two complex numbers?

Yes, this equation can be extended to any number of complex numbers. The absolute value of the product of n complex numbers is equal to the product of their individual absolute values. This can be easily proven using mathematical induction.