Beam Expansion: Distance between 2 lenses in a Keplerian beam expander

tanhanhbi
Homework Statement
Determine the optical distance d between the lenses such that the distance z′ to the waist of the final beam is as large as possible.
Relevant Equations
Gaussian beam
1694753568777.png

Basically this is the Exercise In Fundamentals of Photonics book.
We also need to use these two equation (1) and (2)
1694757157317.png

As we all know, in order to make the z' as far as possible, we must place 2 lens with this distance
1694754359557.png

I already figure that thank to the initial condition of the first lens position
1694754562581.png

So that the z1 must equal to f1
1694754616697.png

For the z2, I tried to replace zo in (2) onto (1), then take the derivative of z' with respect to z2. My initial though that let the derivative of z' equal to 0, we can find the maximal of z'. But actually after finish the derivative thing, z' do not have maximal and I already always infinity ?
1694757110830.png

So I am not sure what wrong with my thinking. If someone could give me a clue, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 1694754075958.png
    1694754075958.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 1694754132747.png
    1694754132747.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 38

1. What is a Keplerian beam expander?

A Keplerian beam expander is an optical device that is used to increase the diameter of a laser beam without changing its divergence angle. It consists of two lenses placed at a specific distance from each other.

2. How does a Keplerian beam expander work?

A Keplerian beam expander works by using the first lens to collimate the laser beam, and the second lens to focus the collimated beam onto the desired spot. This results in an increased beam diameter and a decreased divergence angle.

3. What is the purpose of a Keplerian beam expander?

The purpose of a Keplerian beam expander is to manipulate the size and divergence of a laser beam. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as laser cutting, welding, and drilling, where a larger beam diameter is needed for increased precision.

4. How do you calculate the distance between the two lenses in a Keplerian beam expander?

The distance between the two lenses in a Keplerian beam expander can be calculated using the formula: d = (f1 + f2)(1 - M), where d is the distance between the lenses, f1 and f2 are the focal lengths of the first and second lens, respectively, and M is the magnification factor.

5. Can the distance between the lenses be adjusted in a Keplerian beam expander?

Yes, the distance between the lenses in a Keplerian beam expander can be adjusted to achieve the desired beam diameter and divergence angle. However, it is important to note that changing the distance between the lenses will also affect the magnification factor and the focal lengths of the lenses.