I need to build a bridge out of toothpicks. MAJOR HELP NEEDED

In summary: The rules do not mention if modifications can be made to the toothpicks, but it is highly recommended to sand them down as much as possible to reduce the friction.
MoreZitiPlease

Homework Statement

weight limit-100grams
roadbed must span 500mm of gap
must provide space for hook (15mm x 15mm)
Must be only built of round toothpicks and glue.
Anybody have a clue How to do this/

Homework Equations

LUCK??

The Attempt at a Solution

i FIGURED i would do a Truss design but idk if that is thye best one

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what are you going to put on the bridge? Is there a mass that it need to be able to withstand?

http://homepage2.nifty.com/SUBAL/BCTOPE.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "best one" do whatever you want to do. If you want to build a bridge using a Truss design, do it. However whatever you plan to do I'd suggest reading up on how the bridge actually supports itself and objects.

My knowledge on such areas isn't that great, but I have done a similar version of this using different material. Triangular structures used in bridges and in the links provided, proved very successfull for myself, though I'm afraid that is all I can offer you. What is this for a competition?

CrawfordK said:
My knowledge on such areas isn't that great, but I have done a similar version of this using different material. Triangular structures used in bridges and in the links provided, proved very successfull for myself, though I'm afraid that is all I can offer you. What is this for a competition?

a project.. due tuesday WOW

Last edited:
Will Elmers glue be enough to hold the load

The whole point of the project is to experiment until you get something that works, I'd suggest trying Elmer's glue and if it doesn't work try something else.

I went out and got some wood glue. Now I am wondering how I wll glue this thing. How can glue the two sticks w/o iit stickin to the surface

Not to be rude, but are you seriously asking how to glue toothpicks together?

its really quite simple. i remember when we did this in middle school the person who won was the one who used the most glue. that's about all there is i think.

Last edited:
Feldoh said:
Not to be rude, but are you seriously asking how to glue toothpicks together?

Yes.WhenI glue, it always sticksto the table

MoreZitiPlease said:
Yes.WhenI glue, it always sticksto the table

Two solutions, build on a sheet of wax paper, or put a coat of paste wax on the table.

If the rules absolutly confine you to use white glue, or a woodglue, then titebond I, or II might produce a quicker set time.
If allowed, a CA type (instant glue) using an excelerator, will give a 15 second or quicker lock.

Now my only problem left seems to be how I will get the thing standing when I build it

Cross link a bas with toothpicks, then build on top. These problems should be part of the fun.

what is that? A Bas?

MoreZitiPlease said:
what is that? A Bas?

I do not know what a bas is.

I would study the winning designs.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/SUBAL/BCPrE.htm

It appears the latest winners have laminated their toothpicks into sturdier larger beams.
I would imagine the best design would be a single solid arched pole that gets larger at the bases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Parabelbåge.png
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/history/us/monuments/stlouisarch/printout.shtml

But I've never built a bridge before.

Good luck!

How can I make the glue dry really quickly

MoreZitiPlease said:
How can I make the glue dry really quickly

hmmmm... good question. have you tried a hair dryer?
Try and keep the glue thickness at a minimum. This will help speed the drying.
Maybe you can put the bridge in the oven at about 175'F.

here's good link about wood glue tricks:
http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/Wood_Glue-Avoiding_Gluing_Problems
although round toothpicks don't strike me as the ideal working material.

And remember that the strength comes mainly from the toothpicks, not the glue.
Though you want the glue to stick well to the toothpicks, so you want them to be clean.
I would wear gloves to keep the oil from your hands from contaminating the toothpicks.

MoreZitiPlease said:
what is that? A Bas?

I think a base was implied.

Well.. I still have no idea how I am going tomake the bridge actually stand

elmers or titebond?

Ya, holding the thing together while the glue dries is the hardest part. This site has some really cool "jigs" that you can use. You can make some amazing trusses using "TwigJigs".

www.twigjig.com

Definitely the easiest way to build with toothpicks

PhysicsGuy9 said:
Ya, holding the thing together while the glue dries is the hardest part. This site has some really cool "jigs" that you can use. You can make some amazing trusses using "TwigJigs".

www.twigjig.com

Definitely the easiest way to build with toothpicks

I do believe the world now has enough people.
Only on Earth can I imagine a company devoted solely to the manufacturing of plastic thingamajig devises for putting together toothpick structures.

I do want a set though. :approve:

And the prices top out at $39.95.

I did experiment with wooden clothespin jigs. They have to be modified to hold 7 toothpicks.

I was curious if the contest allows modification to the individual toothpicks. Can you sand them to a courser roughness such that the glue adheres better? Can you clip the ends? Can you flatten the sides such that the toothpicks take on a hexagonal shape? Would anyone notice if you used 2 part epoxy glues in the internals and wood glue on the outside?

I was going to recommend titanium rods imbedded in the structures, but I was sure that was cheating.

1. How many toothpicks do I need to build a bridge?

The exact number of toothpicks needed will depend on the design and size of your bridge. It is recommended to have at least 100 toothpicks to start with.

2. What type of toothpicks should I use for building a bridge?

For building a strong and sturdy bridge, it is best to use flat toothpicks rather than round ones. Flat toothpicks will have a larger surface area for gluing and will provide better structural support.

3. How do I ensure that my bridge will be able to hold weight?

To ensure the strength of your bridge, it is important to create a strong base and use a stable truss design. You can also reinforce weak areas with additional toothpicks or glue.

4. Can I use other materials besides toothpicks for building a bridge?

Yes, you can use other materials such as popsicle sticks, straws, or even spaghetti noodles to build a bridge. However, toothpicks are a popular choice due to their availability and ease of use.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a toothpick bridge?

Yes, it is important to handle toothpicks carefully as they can be sharp. It is also recommended to use a cutting mat or board when cutting toothpicks to avoid damaging surfaces. Additionally, be mindful of any glue or other materials used to avoid any accidents.