Inequality of arithmetic and geometric means

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the maximum value of the expression 2(√(1-a^2 ))+ 2a and explores different methods such as using Calculus derivatives and the Inequality of arithmetic and geometric means. The conversation also mentions using the values of -1, 0, and 1 to find the maximum value and considering the expression as the graph of an ellipse. One participant also mentions having a few years to learn about derivatives and the other mentions having the quantity n=4 but is unsure of what to do next.
Numeriprimi
Hey! I have this: 2(√(1-a^2 ))+ 2a
How to determine the maximum value of this?

I think good for this is Inequality of arithmetic and geometric means, but I don't know how use this, because I don't calculate with this yet.

So, have you got any ideas?

Poor Czech Numeriprimi... If you don't understand my primitive English, write, I will try to write this better ;-)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey! I have this: 2(√(1-a^2 ))+ 2a
How to determine the maximum value of this?

Could be a Calculus derivative problem. Does this f(a)=2(√(1-a^2 ))+ 2a have a maximum or minimum?

Carrying that farther [itex]f(a)= 2(1- a^2)^{1/2}+ 2a[/itex] has derivative [itex] f'(a)= -2(1- a^2)^{-1/2}+ 2[/itex]. Any maximum (or minimum) must occur where that derivative is 0 or does not exist. It does not exist when a= 1 or -1 because in that case we have a 0 in the denominator. It is 0 when [itex]\sqrt{1- a^2}= 1[/itex] or a= 0.

Check the values of [itex]2\sqrt{1- a^2}+ 2a[/itex] at x= -1, 0, and 1 to see which is the maximum value.

Another way to look at this is to see that if [itex]y= 2\sqrt{1- a^2}+ 2a[/itex] then [itex]y- 2a= 2\sqrt{1- a^2}[/itex] and so [itex]y^2- 4ay+ 4a^2= 4- 4a^2[/itex] or [itex]8a^2- 4ay+ y^2= 4[/itex] which is the graph of an ellipse with major and minor axes rotated from the coordinate axes.

Please, derivate no... I still have a few years time to learn this.
I need to use Inequality of arithmetic and geometric means, bud how?

Your expression has two parts, ##2\sqrt{1-a^2}## amd ##2a##.

If you are supposed to use arithmetic and geometric means, you need to find some quantities that give those arithmetic and geometric means.

For example if the quantities are ##x## and ##y## and the arithmetic mean is ##2a##, you have the equation ##(x+y)/2 = 2a##

And you have another equation for the geometric mean ...

Yes, i have this: n=4
And what now?

1. What is the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means?

The inequality of arithmetic and geometric means is a mathematical concept that states that the arithmetic mean (average) of a set of positive numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean (the nth root of the product of the numbers). In other words, the arithmetic mean is always equal to or greater than the geometric mean.

2. How is the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means used in real life?

The inequality of arithmetic and geometric means is used in various fields such as finance, economics, and statistics. In finance, it is used to calculate the average return on investments. In economics, it is used to determine the average growth rate of a country's GDP. In statistics, it is used to compare the central tendencies of data sets.

3. What is the proof of the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means?

The inequality of arithmetic and geometric means can be proved using various methods, such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the AM-GM-HM inequality, and the Jensen's inequality. Each method provides a different approach to proving the inequality, but they all arrive at the same conclusion that the arithmetic mean is always equal to or greater than the geometric mean.

4. Can the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means can be extended to complex numbers. In this case, the arithmetic mean is defined as the average of the magnitudes of the complex numbers, while the geometric mean is defined as the nth root of the product of the magnitudes of the complex numbers. The inequality still holds true, with the arithmetic mean being equal to or greater than the geometric mean.

5. Is there a relationship between the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means and other mathematical inequalities?

Yes, the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means is related to other mathematical inequalities, such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the AM-GM-HM inequality, and the Jensen's inequality. In fact, the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means can be derived from these other inequalities, making it a fundamental concept in mathematical inequalities.