Solving Sketch Level Sets: A Beginner's Guide

In summary: I don't really understand what it means for a given numerical value of C to describe a curve, and I'm not sure how to graph it. Could you please help me out with that?Thanks...

Homework Statement

I am very uncomfortable with the concept of "level sets" and don't quite get what it means.

Homework Equations

y = 2(x1)^2 - (x1)(x2) + 2(x2)^2

y = 2x1^(1/2) * x2^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start... Can anyone please give me some basic knowledge of how to approach these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

I am very uncomfortable with the concept of "level sets" and don't quite get what it means.

Homework Equations

y = 2(x1)^2 - (x1)(x2) + 2(x2)^2

y = 2x1^(1/2) * x2^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start... Can anyone please give me some basic knowledge of how to approach these problems?

A level set of f(x1,x2) is the curve f(x1,x2) = constant. If z = f(x1,x2) describes a hill or mountain, a level set of f would be a path of constant elevation. That's all!

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
A level set of f(x1,x2) is the curve f(x1,x2) = constant. If z = f(x1,x2) describes a hill or mountain, a level set of f would be a path of constant elevation. That's all!

Thanks...

So in the top example above,

2(x1)^2 - (x1)(x2) + 2(x2)^2 = C?

What I'm confused about also is how I would graph it...

939 said:
Thanks...

So in the top example above,

2(x1)^2 - (x1)(x2) + 2(x2)^2 = C?

What I'm confused about also is how I would graph it...

For a given numerical value of C, the equation describes some type of curve; you need to figure out what that curve is, and draw it. Surely you must have done problems like that in the past!

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
For a given numerical value of C, the equation describes some type of curve; you need to figure out what that curve is, and draw it. Surely you must have done problems like that in the past!

Thanks... The only thing I don't get is figuring out what the curve is when there is always two xs, i.e. y = ((x1)^(2))*((x2)^(2))... Do you use algebra to put it into a form you can understand better?

Sorry for the newb questions...

Related to Solving Sketch Level Sets: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is the purpose of "Solving Sketch Level Sets"?

The purpose of "Solving Sketch Level Sets" is to provide a beginner's guide for solving level sets in sketches. This technique is commonly used in computer graphics and image processing to extract information from digital images.

2. How does solving sketch level sets work?

Solving sketch level sets involves identifying and isolating objects or regions in a digital image by tracing their boundaries with level sets. This is done by assigning a numerical value to each point in the image and using mathematical equations to evolve the level sets until they converge to the desired boundaries.

3. What are the benefits of using sketch level sets?

Sketch level sets offer a flexible and accurate method for extracting information from digital images. They can handle complex and irregular boundaries and can be used in a variety of applications such as object tracking, image segmentation, and 3D reconstruction.

4. What are some common challenges when solving sketch level sets?

One of the main challenges when solving sketch level sets is selecting appropriate initial conditions and parameters. The evolution of level sets can also be computationally intensive and may require optimization techniques. Additionally, handling noise and partial occlusions in the image can also be difficult.

5. Are there any recommended resources for learning more about solving sketch level sets?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning more about solving sketch level sets. Some recommended resources include textbooks on computer graphics and image processing, online tutorials and courses, and research papers on the topic. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of mathematics and programming concepts.