Advice Needed: Seeking Direction After My First Year of Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's doubts and struggles with pursuing a degree in physics, specifically medical physics. They mention their interest in the medical field and question their abilities in physics and other subjects. They also mention their passion for working with Photoshop and desire to do something medical. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of medical physics and the potential for research in the field. The speaker seeks advice on what path to take and expresses their desire to do something they enjoy. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that the speaker should pursue their interests and passions, and seek guidance from professionals in the field.
Burbit
So I just completed my first year of Physics at my university. It could have gone a lot better, but I got sick with Crohn's and that really screwed things up. I'm not sure if physics is right for me, so I need input. The thing that makes me really question my self is that all the other physics majors at the university are really into astronomy and theoretical stuff. Me on the other hand have no interest in that.

In high school, I failed grade 11 physics once (I took it while I was in grade 10). However second time around it wasn't a problem, and I did fine in grade 12 physics (88 percent). So as you can see I'm not the best physics. The only reason I'm a physics major is because Medical Physics really caught my attention because I wanted to do something in the service industry.

For a job, I for sure want to do something in the service industry. It would be a dream to work in the medical field, which is why I'm going for Medical Physics. However, I struggled my first year and it only gets harder. I've looked into doing other things such as Biology, but I'm scared that it would be harder since I'm no good at memorizing. I love Bio (80 percent in high school), but I'm not sure what kind of jobs I can do with it. It would be too hard to become doctor so that's out of the question. I don't understand Chemistry, but do great at it (97% in high school). So here is a question:

- Is medical physics one of the harder physics? Where would you rate it in terms of difficulty? Compared to other types of physics? Compared to other jobs (doctor, engineering)?

Basically I'm not sure what to do with my life. Physics is not a passion, but an interest. I don't know my passion but my hobby is working with Photoshop, and people say I'm great at it and have told me countless times to take that path. Except as a graphic designer I can't see my self enjoying my job since it's more of a hobby and I would enjoy doing something medical. Like I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do something medical but question if I'm smart enough.

So any advice guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the undergraduate level most physics will be the same difficulty level. You still take all the same core physics classes, regardless of specialty.

It sounds like you want to do something in the medical industry, so you should pursue that.

Most paths to the medical industry are a lot of work whether it be med school, grad school, or just a B.S. in engineering. You still have 3 years to get good grades, so try to stay motivated, study a lot, and get plenty of help.

If you like chemistry, have you considered pharmaceuticals? You could go to grad school and get involved in research, or go to pharmacy school and become a pharmacist and/or do research.

If you like math and applied physics, biomedical engineering would be good. And there's always med school if you think you have good chances of getting in.

Whatever you do, good luck, and I think you should ultimately do what you enjoy most.

In order to get into medical physics you first need to get a degree in physics. And accredited graduate positions are highly competative, so you need to do well in your undergraduate studies to get in. Further, residency positions are also competative, so you have to do well in your graduate studies, and finally the good professional positions can also be competative.

It would be a mistake, in my opinion, to pursue it because you think it's easier than other fields of physics. Medical physics is much of an applied branch of physics and in that respect much of the research in the area is a lot like engineering research rather than for example, high energy theoretical physics research.

Apparently our city just got its first medical physicist, who will be working closely with our university. So I think the safest way to go is to talk directly to the physicist and some professors. Because to be honest I don't know much about Medical Physics. All I know is that it involves applying physics to treat cancer, and that was enough to get me interested since it combined my two favorite subjects.

I've talked to one professor and he has told me take as many biology, chemistry, and biochemistry courses during my B.S.

It would just be nice to see exactly what Medical Physicists do, such as the math and physics involved.

I'll look into biomedical engineering; not interested in becoming a pharmacist though.

@ Choppy
What do you mean by engineering research? I'm looking into Medical Physics because I'm interested in simply applying methods. Is there a lot of research required as a medical physicist?

Burbit said:
What do you mean by engineering research? I'm looking into Medical Physics because I'm interested in simply applying methods. Is there a lot of research required as a medical physicist?

Medical physics has different branches. The vast majority of medical physicists (~ 80%) work in radiation oncology, but there are branches in diagnostic imaging and MRI, nuclear medicine, and radiation protection.

Research isn't always required. Some positions are completely clinical, which means you spend your time doing quality assurance work, evaluating treatment plans, commissioning new equipment, calibrating, developing procedures, and problem solving. Where I work however, medical physicists are required to maintain a research program in addition to holding clinical responsibilities. This kind of research involves things like:
- developing new radiation detectors
- radiobiological investigations that look at how cells respond to different types of radiation under different circumstances
- improving imaging techniques or using imaging modalities in novel ways
- combining linear accelerators with different imaging modalities like MRI, CT and or PET imagers
- image fusion techniques
- clinical trials where you assist physicians with new treatment approaches

So by 'engineering research' what I mean is that the physics is applied. We're not generally in the business of exploring new fundamental interactions. How medical radiation interacts with matter has been known for years.

1. How do I know if physics is the right field for me?

One way to determine if physics is the right field for you is by asking yourself if you enjoy solving complex problems and have a strong interest in understanding the laws and principles that govern the natural world. It is also helpful to talk to current or former physics students, attend physics seminars or workshops, and explore different subfields of physics to see which ones interest you the most.

2. Should I continue with a physics major or switch to a different field?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you are passionate about physics and have excelled in your first year, it may be worth continuing with a physics major. However, if you are struggling or have discovered a different field that aligns better with your interests, it may be worth considering a switch. It is important to speak with academic advisors and mentors to weigh your options and make an informed decision.

3. How can I improve my grades in physics?

Improving your grades in physics requires a combination of hard work, effective study habits, and seeking help when needed. Attend all lectures and actively participate in class discussions. Practice solving problems regularly, and seek additional resources such as study groups, tutoring, or online resources. It is also important to communicate with your professor and ask for clarification or additional help when needed.

4. What are my career options with a physics degree?

A physics degree can lead to a variety of career options in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, education, and more. Some common career paths for physics majors include working in academia, government agencies, private industries, and research institutions. It is important to explore different career options and gain relevant experience through internships or research opportunities to determine which path aligns best with your interests and goals.

5. What steps should I take to prepare for graduate studies in physics?

If you are considering pursuing graduate studies in physics, it is important to maintain a strong academic record, gain research experience, and build relationships with potential mentors and advisors. It is also helpful to prepare for standardized tests such as the GRE and to research and apply to graduate programs that align with your interests and career goals. Seeking guidance from current graduate students or professors can also provide valuable insight and advice on the application process.