Difference between equivalence and equality with functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equivalence versus equality in a given question. The question asks to show that the equation f(x)=0 has a root x = a, where a lies in the interval 1 < a < 2. The main point of discussion is the difference between equivalence and equality and how it relates to finding the root of the equation. The concept of an equivalence relation is also brought up.
ravern
I feel aggravatingly close to the answer to this one, but have caved in.

Using ~ for "is equivalent to"

A given question reads:

Given that f(x) ~ 3 - 5x + x^3, show that the equation f(x)=0 has a root x = a, where a lies in the interval 1 < a < 2.

Clearly asking for the answer here would be more than a little insulting. What I want to know is why it is necessary to use equivalence rather than equality at the beginning.

Many thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the example you show, equivalence means is defined as, that is f(x) is defined by the expression. Equality means an actual equation, like find the values of x for which f(x)=0. Here f(x)=0 is an equation, since f(x) is a substitute for the expression for x. f(x) equivalent to 0 would mean f(x) is 0 irrespective of x.

You could do it the following way:

The function value for arbitrary x equals the symbol f(x), i.e, f(x)=3-5x+x^3.
You wish to find a particular value (or values) among the possible x's, call that X, so that
f(X)=0, that is solve the following equation for X:
3-5X+X^3=0.

"x" denotes an arbitrary element within the function's domain, "X" denotes those of these such that f(X)=0 is a true statement (for most x's, it is an untrue statement).

I'm not sure I understand arildno's response! The problem I have understanding the whole problem is "equivalent". While there is a single concept of "equal", "equivalent" normally means "the same in some specific way" and you haven't said what that "way" is!

Typically, when you say two things are "equivalent", rather than "equal", you are saying they satisfy some given equivalence relation. Is there mention of an equivalence relation in this?

It's obvious that 3- 5x+ x3 HAS a zero between x= 1 and x= 2 but I don't know what is meant by "equivalent".

What is the difference between equivalence and equality with functions?

Equivalence and equality are two concepts that are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct meanings when it comes to functions. Equivalence means that two functions have the same output for every input, while equality means that the two functions are identical in every aspect. In other words, equivalent functions produce the same results, while equal functions are essentially the same function.

How do you determine if two functions are equivalent?

To determine if two functions are equivalent, you can use the vertical line test. If both functions pass the vertical line test, then they have the same output for every input and are considered equivalent. Another way to determine equivalence is to algebraically manipulate one function to look like the other. If you can do this, then the two functions are equivalent.

Can two functions be equivalent but not equal?

Yes, two functions can be equivalent but not equal. This means that they produce the same output for every input, but they are not identical in every aspect. For example, two different equations may produce the same graph and therefore be equivalent, but they are not equal because they are not the same function.

How are equivalence and equality important in mathematics and science?

Equivalence and equality are important concepts in mathematics and science because they help us to understand relationships between different functions. By determining equivalence and equality, we can make connections between seemingly different functions and use this knowledge to solve problems and make predictions.

Is one concept more important than the other?

Neither concept is more important than the other. Both equivalence and equality have their own significance in mathematics and science. Equivalence helps us to identify similar functions and make connections, while equality allows us to manipulate and solve equations. Both concepts are essential in understanding and working with functions.