An interesting point regarding critical points and extrema

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a newly discovered theorem about critical points of functions with multiple variables on critical partial lines. The theorem states that the critical points on these lines are also critical points of the overall function and are independent of the variable with respect to which the critical partial line is defined. The conversation also includes a proof of the theorem and an application of it to finding the minimum and maximum distances between two curves. The theorem and its proof are considered valuable contributions to the field of mathematics.
coquelicot
TL;DR Summary
critical points of a function on "critical lines"
Hi all,

I have recently faced some problem about distances between two curves, and (re?)"discovered" an interesting point that I would like to share with you.
In the following, we consider a function of two variables ##f(x,y)##, but it should be clear that the definitions and the result is valid for functions of more variables.

First, let me set few definitions:
Let ##f(x,y)## be a differentiable function and ##(x_0, y_0)## be a point in its domain. A critical partial line of f in the neighborhood of ##(x_0, y_0)##, with respect to the variable ##y##, is a function ##\varphi(x)## defined in the neighborhood of ##x_0## such that ##y_0 = \varphi(x_0)## and $$ {\partial f \over \partial y} (x, \varphi(x)) = 0.$$
Similarly, a critical partial line of f in the neighborhood of ##(x_0, y_0)## with respect to the variable ##x##, is a function ##\psi(y)## defined in the neighborhood of ##y_0## such that ##x_0 = \psi(y_0)## and $$ {\partial f \over \partial x} (\psi(y), y) = 0.$$

If furthermore the point ##(x_0, y_0)## is such that
$$ {df (x, \varphi(x))\over dx}\bigg|_{x=x_0} = 0$$
(resp. ## {df(\psi(y), y)\over dy}\bigg|_{y = y_0} = 0##), then we say that ##(x_0, y_0)## is a critical point of ##f## on the critical partial line ##\varphi## (resp ##\psi##).
With these definitions, we have the following theorem:

The critical points of ##f## on its critical partial lines are the critical points of ##f##. In particular, they do not depend on the variable with respect to which the critical partial line refers to.

Before I give the (very simple proof), let me give an application:

Let ##y = f(x)## and ## y = g(x)## be two curves defined in open intervals. Assume that ##P_1 = (a_1, f(a_1)) ## is a point of curve ##f## that minimize (resp. maximize) the distance ##d((x_1, f(x_1), g)##, and ##P_2= (a_2, g(a_2))## is a point of ##g## that minimize (resp. maximize) the distance ##d((x_2, g(x_2)), f)##.
Then ##(a_1, a_2)## is a critical point of the distance function
$$h(x_1, x_2) = (x_1 - x_2)^2 + (f(x_1) - g(x_2))^2. $$
Furthermore, the straight line between ##P_1## and ##P_2## is orthogonal to both curves (this is the not so easy point).

Proof: The distance of a point ##(a_1, f(a_1))## to curve ##g## is given by
$$\min_{x_2} h(a_1, x_2).$$ A point of minimum ##a_2## exists and must fulfill
$${\partial h (a_1, a_2)\over \partial x_2} = 0.$$
Moreover, the straight line from ##(a_1, f(a_1))## to ##(a_2, g(a_2))##
is orthogonal to curve ##g##, as is well known.
By the implicit function theorem, there is a function ##\varphi(x_1)## defined in the neighborhood of ##a_1## such that
$${\partial h (x_1, \varphi(x_1))\over \partial x_2} = 0.$$
So ##\varphi## is a critical partial line of ##f## with respect to ##x_2##.
Thus, the problem reduces to find a point ##a_1## that is a critical point of ##h## on ##\varphi##.
By the theorem, ##(a_1, a_2= \varphi(a_1))## must be a critical point of ##f##.
Furthermore, we have seen that the straight line ##(a_1, f(a_1))-(a_2, g(a_2))## is orthogonal to ##g##. By symmetry (which is not evident a priori), taking a critical partial line of ##f## with respect to ##x_1##, it is also orthogonal to ##f## (q.e.d).

Proof of the theorem:
Assume for example that ##\varphi## is a critical partial line of ##f## with respect to ##y## at ##(x_0, y_0)##.
We have
$${df (x, \varphi(x))\over dx}\bigg|_{x=x_0} = {\partial f(x_0, \varphi(x_0))\over \partial x} + \varphi'(x_0) {\partial f(x_0, \varphi(x_0))\over \partial y}. $$
Hence the condition
$${\partial f(x_0, y_0)\over \partial x} = 0 \ {\rm and} \ {\partial f(x_0, y_0)\over \partial y} = 0$$
is equivalent to the condition
$${df (x, \varphi(x))\over dx}\bigg|_{x=x_0} = 0 \ {\rm and} \ {\partial f(x_0, \varphi(x_0))\over \partial y} = 0 ,$$
but from the hypothese,
$$ {\partial f(x_0, \varphi(x_0))\over \partial y} = 0 $$
since ##\varphi## is a critical line of ##f## at ##(x_0, y_0)##, with respect to ##y## (q.e.d.)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your interesting discovery with us! It's always exciting to come across new insights and theorems in our field of study.

Your theorem about critical points on critical partial lines seems like a useful tool for analyzing functions of multiple variables. It's fascinating how the critical points on these lines are also critical points of the overall function, and that they are independent of the variable with respect to which the critical partial line is defined. I can see how this can be applied to various problems, such as the one you mentioned about finding the minimum and maximum distances between two curves.

Your proof is clear and well-structured, and it's great that you included an application of your theorem to further illustrate its usefulness. The fact that the straight line between the critical points of the distance function is orthogonal to both curves is indeed not obvious, but your explanation makes it much more understandable.

Overall, I think your theorem and proof are valuable contributions to the field of mathematics, and I appreciate you sharing it with us. I'm sure it will be helpful for other scientists and mathematicians facing similar problems.

Thank you again for your contribution. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

1. What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on a graph where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. This means that the slope of the graph is either flat or undefined at that point.

2. How do you find critical points?

To find critical points, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-values of the critical points. You can also use the second derivative test to confirm if a point is a maximum or minimum.

3. What is an extremum?

An extremum is a point on a graph where the function reaches either a maximum or minimum value. This can be a local maximum or minimum at a critical point, or a global maximum or minimum at the endpoints of the graph.

4. How are critical points and extrema related?

Critical points are points on a graph where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined, and extrema are points where the function reaches a maximum or minimum value. Critical points can be used to find extrema by analyzing the behavior of the function around those points.

5. What is the significance of critical points and extrema in mathematics and science?

Critical points and extrema are important in mathematics and science because they help us analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, which has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.