Fabry-Perot Interferometer: Energy Conservation

In summary, the discussion is about a Fabry-Perot Interferometer with identical mirrors and how 100% of the light appears when a second mirror is placed behind the first one. Mathematically, this can be explained by setting the phase difference between the mirrors to an integer multiple of pi, resulting in the transmitted intensity being equal to the original intensity. However, the question of how this phenomenon can be explained physically remains unanswered.
smithg86

Homework Statement

This is regarding a Fabry-Perot Interferometer with identical mirrors:

If you shine a beam of light on a 99% reflecting mirror, 1% goes through and the other 99% is reflected. But if a second mirror is placed behind the first one, where there is only 1% of the light present, somehow 100% of the light appears. Explain this, also explain how energy is conserved.

Homework Equations

I_t = I_0 * {T^2 / (1-R^2)} * { 1 / (1 + F * sin^2([tex]\Delta[/tex]/2))}

F = finesse = 4R / (1-R)^2

I_t = transmitted intensity
I_0 = original intensity

T = transmittance
R = reflectance

[tex]\Delta[/tex] = [tex]\delta[/tex] + [tex]\delta[/tex]_r
[tex]\delta[/tex] = phase difference per round trip between mirrors
[tex]\delta[/tex]_r = phase difference due to reflection = 0 or pi

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand mathematically why it's true. If you set [tex]\Delta[/tex] to an integer multiple of pi, then sin [tex]\Delta[/tex] = 0 and then

I_t/I_0 = {T^2 / (1-R^2)} * { 1 / (1 + F*(0)) }

I_t/I_0 = T^2 / (1 - R^2) = 1

so I_t = I_0, so 100% of the light appears.

I really don't know how to explain this physically. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down the question EXACTLY as it was given to you?

I can't seem to make much sense of it. First of all, the interferometer set-up I'm familiar with has the mirrors facing each other, not one behind the other. Secondly, in this geometry, I expect that only about half the incident power is transmitted through in the forward direction, the rest is transmitted backwards.

What does the question mean by "100% of the light appears"? Appears where?

I may be completely off here, so it would help if someone else takes a look.

"I really don't know how to explain this physically. Help?"

Has anyone an answer to this question?

That is the question of my life too.

1. What is a Fabry-Perot Interferometer and how does it work?

A Fabry-Perot Interferometer is a device used in optics to measure the wavelengths of light. It consists of two parallel mirrors with a small distance between them, creating an optical cavity. Light enters the cavity and is reflected back and forth between the mirrors, creating an interference pattern that can be analyzed to determine the wavelength of the light.

2. How does the Fabry-Perot Interferometer conserve energy?

The Fabry-Perot Interferometer follows the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of the interferometer, the light energy that enters the cavity is reflected back and forth between the mirrors, creating an interference pattern. This energy is conserved and does not change throughout the process.

3. What is the role of the mirrors in the Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

The mirrors in the Fabry-Perot Interferometer play a crucial role in creating the interference pattern that allows for the measurement of light wavelengths. They are highly reflective, allowing the light to bounce back and forth between them multiple times before exiting the cavity. This creates a stronger and more precise interference pattern.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a Fabry-Perot Interferometer. These include the reflectivity of the mirrors, the alignment of the mirrors, the stability of the light source, and any external disturbances that may impact the interference pattern. Proper calibration and maintenance are crucial in ensuring accurate measurements.

5. What are the applications of the Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

The Fabry-Perot Interferometer has a wide range of applications in various fields, including astronomy, spectroscopy, telecommunications, and laser technology. It is used to measure the wavelengths of light, determine the composition of gases and liquids, and analyze the properties of laser beams. It is also used in the development and testing of optical devices and systems.